31. Still Here

I sat there, twiddling my thumbs. I was getting ready to face Brad again. Thank God Shawn wasn't coming until later. I didn't want to even deal with this. The last time I saw Brad was at the album launch party, where he warned me not to sell my soul to the devil. I ignored him, and he walked away.

Now, I was waiting in their recording studio to help them write a duet with Shawn. How awkward could this be?

And now I know Shawn thought I had instantly dropped Brad for him, which admittedly made every part of my body burst with frustration. I was absolutely dreading this.

"Hey," I heard from the doorway. I looked up, twisting my body to see the curly-headed boy looking down at me.

I mustered up a smile.

"Hey Brad," I waved. I got up. I should hug him.

We both walked towards each other, and I pulled him into me. He smelled nice.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Oh, you know."

He laughed. "Always so secretive."

I shrugged. "How about you?"

He just stared at me, hoping I would elaborate about my life. However, my lips remained sealed. I had no interest in letting him in on my twisted life, especially since I know exactly what he's thinking. He's thinking I haven't figured out my situation. I haven't made up with Shawn or even clarified anything. He's thinking I still haven't figured out if I'm still in love with Shawn or if I hate him. He's thinking I'm in way too deep to ever find my way out again.

And he'd be right.

So why say it out loud?

"Is Shawn around?" Brad asked.

"He's coming later. Thought we could get started on the songwriting, and then he'll join for rehearsals."

"Okay, awesome."

He led me down the corridor and into the recording studio. I sat down on the plush couch, where a notepad and pen was splayed about.

He sat a bit farther away from me than necessary. And I noticed the distance.

"So, did you want to keep the chorus intact?" I asked.

He nodded.

"Good. Because I love that part," I laughed.

He chuckled along with me but distantly. He didn't sound all there. We sat in silence for a moment, and I didn't know what to do.

"So, what's going on with you?"

"I already told you—"

"You actually didn't."

I furrowed my eyebrows. What was he doing?

"Anyways," I said, trying to change the subject. "Let's get back to the song."

He wasn't going to drop it that easily. He got up from of the couch and sighed in frustration.

"Brad?"

"So, we're just supposed to sit here and talk pleasantries?"

I furrowed my eyebrows. "What are you so mad about?"

"Nothing," he mumbled.

I got up off the couch as well. I didn't understand what was happening. Why was he so invested in my relationship with Shawn?

"Brad, what do you want from me?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I just think it's weird how your manager set this up."