33. Forgotten Tomorrow

I stood tall in the dressing room. I stared at myself in the mirror, running a hand through my hair. Shawn and I were invited to a fundraising gala tonight, and I had to scurry around to get ready. Putting my dress on—laden with dazzling sequins—shone brightly against the lights. It shimmered and danced in gold, and I felt like a princess.

I pressed my lips together, moving them around to evenly spread the red lipstick. My eyelids were dusted in a rose gold shadow, and my lashes fluttered everytime I blinked.

I felt like a dream.

Hearing a knock at the door, I turned around hastily. The silk dress swished around with me.

"Come in," I said.

Lo and behold, Shawn came in. He was looking as dapper as ever. He couldn't just look awful for once. It would be so much easier to hate him.

His suit jacket had one button done up, and his collar of his white button up shirt had a bow tie slung around it.

"You look beautiful," he murmured.

I smiled, slightly. He offered me his hand, and I took it willingly. These heels were not the easiest to navigate in. I walked towards the door, clutching onto his arm because I had to. I was still mad at him, but day by day, it became harder to hold my ground.

I just wanted things to go back to normal so badly. I was willing to let go his attempts to block me from talking to Brad yesterday in the recording studio, and I was just going to be his pretend girlfriend for the night.

I was not going to cause any drama today. There was no point. Andrew would have a close eye on us, and he needed to know how serious I was about my career. The better I behaved, the sooner I would be moved to a different artist. Hopefully, I could put this all behind me and look towards a greater future.

Shawn escorted me outside, where a million blinding lights started flashing. Cameras were everywhere, but this time, I didn't flinch. It was finally starting to seem semi-normal to have paparazzi wherever I went.

I smiled, and so did Shawn. We got into the limo, and it began to drive away.

"What event is this?" I asked Shawn.

He looked over at me, surprised he was being asked a question.

"Um, I think it's called the Over the Rainbow fundraiser," he said. "All proceeds go to an AIDS foundation."

I nodded.

"That's awesome. Do you know anybody going?" I wondered.

Again, he was surprised we were having such a normal conversation. "Yeah, I think the Fifth Harmony girls are going."

I nodded. "Oh nice! Haven't seen Camila in weeks."

"Yeah, same," he responded. "You know their band is having drama, don't you?"

I shook my head. "Really?"

"Yeah, Lauren is getting pushed to the side when it comes to solos, and she's getting angry about it."

I raised my eyebrows. "You know, I always felt like they were shafting her."

"Really?" he wondered. "How did you guess that? When you were a sixth harmony member?"

I rolled my eyes. "I sang one song with them."

"But you did that funny little dance and put on their outfit. You were essentially a member."

I shook my head. "I can barely move my body like they can. Do you remember in the ninth grade when –"

"You finally got Harold Thompson to ask you out to the Spring Fling dance, and you stepped on his foot with your heel and broke his pinky toe?"