6. Something Big

I hadn't talked to Shawn in about a week and a half. He didn't attempt to call me, and I didn't want to hear from him. 

Well, that was a lie. I partially did want to hear from him but only to hear he was sorry and that he regretted letting me walk away.

God, what is wrong with me? We aren't even dating, and yet he can have such an effect on me. We have been best friends since we were twelve. We wrote songs together, and we really understood the way each other's minds worked.

And here we are, pretending like none of that happened. Pretending like we were actually just songwriters and nothing more. Can that really happen? Can that really be possible?

I walked into my home, after a long day of school. I had avoided Mel like the plague. She was babbling on about her now famous boyfriend, Shawn, and how he had to drop out to pursue his dreams.

I rolled my eyes. I hated this, I hated hearing about him, not knowing the latest thing about him. It honestly was the worst feeling in the world. It made my stomach sink everyday.

My phone started to ring, and I dropped my backpack in the front hall to answer it.

"Hello?"

"Hey."

My insides froze.

'Hi," I tried to remain calm.

"Uh, is this a bad time?"

"Nope," I said, sighing.

"Okay," Shawn replied, hesitantly. "Well, Nelson booked us a studio session tomorrow at three. Can you be there?"

"Well I signed a contract," I said, shortly. I knew I was being mean, but he said he didn't want to be best friend with me anymore. I'm just heartbroken.

"Can you bring your guitar?"

"Yup."

"I think the next song should be about something more generic. Not necessarily about love," he told me.

"Like?"

"Like, feeling something coming. Feeling something great on its way. I don't know."

I understood exactly what he meant.

"You mean, something big?"

"Exactly. That sounds good. You get me, Jules."

I remained silent for a moment. I wanted to cry because he sounded so distant even though he was still here.

"Alright. See you tomorrow."

He sighed. "See you."

**

I walked into the studio, and Shawn was already there messing about on his guitar.

I sat down on the couch beside him, and I smiled weakly.

"How's it going?" I wondered politely.

"It's good! I've just been promoting Life of the Party."

"Yeah."

"Actually, our song is number five right now on the top 100."

"Yeah, I heard. That's great."

We sat in silence a little more. He shifted in his seat.

"Should we get started?" he wondered. I nodded, pulling out my guitar.

We set off to work, and I let my anger melt away. I knew we had to write a good song because I wanted to continue to be apart of the music industry, and Shawn wanted to have smash hits on the radio.