(MATURE) Catching Up: Laurence

(Continuation of: Fall Fair)

Authors Note!: This Chapter is darker than the other ones and digs deeper into Laurence's past with Gene! This contains violence and mentions of Sexual Assault. That means this may also be a Trigger Warning to many of those reading! Please, don't read if any of this makes you uncomfortable or fearful in anyway. I don't want to make anybody uncomfortable.

Laurence had no idea that being the last one into the maze would end up to be such a big deal, especially since Travis and Lucinda were just a few minutes in front of him. It wasn't supposed to be a big trouble, it wasn't supposed to end up with him in a situation worse than what he ended up in during Freshmen year in Highschool. Something he hoped he had put behind him, but was still haunting him, even six years later.

Highschool was actually the furthest thing from his mind as he walked through the maze, trying not to jump at every snapping twig or running leaf. He had to at least pretend he wasn't afraid of Halloween or maze's. It was just something about blind corners, it always made him feel uncomfortable and sometimes even sick to his stomach as he looked for the exit, no idea if there would be a monster instead of a way out in front of. One of the things that helped him keep calm though was his new jacket, it smelt like Cadenza and in turn home and safety. Sure it would have helped even more if it were Garroth's scent, or hell even Garroth holding his hand would help a million!

A girl screaming in the distance made him jump but the fact that it was followed by laughter helped him relax. The area was full of noise yet it seemed too quiet. Like there was something around the next corner. Of course, at that thought Laurence took the next corner a little more cautiously, though ended up just looking like a fool when there was nothing there.

"You're scaring yourself, Laurence." He sighed to himself. "Relax."

The next corner though, his fears were realized but a second too late. Laurence saw those familiar yet lifeless blue eyes and was only able to block a blow before it could make full contact with his head, but it was enough to knock Laurence off his feet, slamming his shoulder hard against his side. Laurence hissed in pain, looking up at his attacker.

"Gene." He hissed, "What are you doing here? Where's your little group of mindless followers?"

Gene laughed, stuffing his hands in his own jacket as Laurence got to his feet. "Careful there, Laurence. If I remember right once upon a time you were one of those mindless followers, and you could be one again, If you wanted."

Laurence dusted off his jacket, "Really? You come all this way, attack me, and then offer me a job. You're more insane than when I left. You do remember that you're abuse is what convinced me to quit in the first place!" He yelled, just to be pushed against the hedge and a hand cover his mouth.

"Shh." Gene said, putting his finger to his lips. "Careful now, you wouldn't want any of your cute little friends getting hurt because you couldn't keep quiet. Do you?"

"You wouldn't dare." Laurence growled, turning his head so he could speak.

"Wouldn't I? You and I both know I've done worse. Who know's I could do worse again?"

Laurence shuddered at the memories and looked away, his stomach twisting into knots as he began to feel sick. "I'm not a kid anymore. You can't take advantage of me like that without a fight." He threatened. "Because I won't take it anymore!"

"Won't you? Not even with all your friends just on the other side of this field. My friends may not be right next to me but I never said they weren't around Laurence."