One

Brendon wakes to his mother tapping his shoulder for him to awake. His eyes shoot open as he looks over.

Brendon, wake up. Today's the big day. His mother signs, smiling. Brendon smiles, sitting up as he rubs his eyes.

Okay, okay. Let me change and get ready. He replies, his mom moving out of the room quickly.

Brendon stands up and rushes over to his armoire, opening a drawer and grabbing some black skinny jeans, a button-up shirt, and just a pair of socks.

He heads to the bathroom that's connected to his room and looks in the mirror, ruffling his hair to look decent. He slides his pajama shirt off and grabs some deodorant, rubbing it on his armpits and sliding the shirt on. He then slides his pajama pants off and puts on the skinny jeans, hopping around.

Brendon rushes out of the bathroom while button his pants up. He sits on his bed, putting the socks on each foot and reaching for his phone on the nightstand. He slides it in his pocket and rushes out of his room, down the hall, and to the dining room.

How are you, son? His dad signs, looking up from his newspaper with a smile.

Anxious, but happy. Brendon signs back, stuffing his face with the eggs on his plate.

Well remember that if you ever feel uncomfortable, you can always give us a call and I'll have mom pick you up. His father tells him, folding up the newspaper.

Deal. Brendon replies, finishing up the eggs. He looks over to his mom and clears his throat for her attention. Can we put them on, now?

Sure. Give me a second. She finished washing a dish and she goes over to the desk where the hearing aids sit. He walks over, still never getting the hang of how to put them on.

He jumps as they click, suddenly hearing everything. He smiles and looks at his mom. "Thanks." He says, still getting used to his own voice.

"You're welcome. Now, let's get you to school." She goes over and grabs her keys, blowing a kiss to her husband to say goodbye. Brendon grabs his backpack and throws it over his shoulder. His mom opens the door as he heads out to the car.

"You ready?" His mom says, going into the car.

"Yep." He replies with a big smile. She starts the car and pulls out of the driveway. He sighs, slouching in the seat.

Today's the day that everything starts new.