Being Revived 14

“Hurry.”

“Emergency room three.”

“Mr. Andrew, I’m Detective Fred. I need to ask you some questions.”

“Not now.”

“Is the trauma team ready?”

“Yes, they are.”

“How is her pulse?”

“Rapid pulse.”

I could hear voices that sounded thin and distant. I was lying down and was being pushed around but I couldn’t feel the mattress under me. It felt like I was floating on thin air. I tried to cry out, but my lungs ache so badly like hot coal was in my throat and it was very difficult to breath. It was even difficult to open my eyes.

“Mr. Andrew, you need to stay out here. Give him vitals.”

“Heart is throbbing low.”

“Defib now. She’s technicardiac.”

Suddenly, everything blacked out and I met myself in a strange room. The room was very bright and beautiful with high ceiling covered with crystal stars and deeply carpeted in a thick marquetry of fresh flowers. The chairs and bed were made of gold. Even the large table at the middle of the room was also made of pure gold. The covers on the bed and chairs were pure white and the walls were hanged with striped cream silk. Different kinds of fruits were set in different bowls on the table. The room was a very large one without a window.

I drew in a long breath. It was the loveliest room I had ever laid eyes on and I wished more than anything that it was mine.

The door opened and I expected to see someone there but, it had opened on its own. I started walking towards it. As I made my way to the door, I saw something glistering from the corner of my eyes. Turning around, I realized that it was a mirror. Not just a mirror, but a beautiful one. All the edges were covered with fresh and lovely flowers that took my breath away.

I gasped for breath when I saw who was staring at me from the mirror. I couldn’t believe that the person I was staring at was me.

The girl in the mirror was wearing the loveliest dress. A lovely monostrap satin dress that reached above her knees and on her neck was a pearl necklace and diamond that glistened; on her ears were rose diamonds that dangled about. On her feet were diamond high heels. My blue-black hair was now curled and bounced on my head when I turned. A lovely diamond bow was pinned at the side.

She looked like a queen, not just that. She was a queen. I turned towards the door and made my way through the enormous hall. The floor was thickly carpeted and it was very quiet. I went up the staircase. On the landing, the door in front of me opened even before I touched it. And before me was a very big hall full of men and women. They were all wearing white clothes that sprinkled around them. Music could be heard in the background. It looked like they were having a party. I took a step to enter but it was like an invisible force was stopping me.

“Hey, open the door.” I shouted at a man that was passing by. He didn’t even seem to hear me. “Can anyone hear me? You need to let me in.” I shouted nervously, but no one answered.

Suddenly, I saw mom and dad walking towards me. They were holding hands and were making their way through the people.

“Mum.” I exclaimed. My smile brightened and I felt the urge to wrap my arms around their neck. “Dad.”

“Sweetie.” Mum smiled at me. A sad smile. “You shouldn’t be here.”

“I can’t believe that you are alive.” I said without hearing her.