Chapter 36 - Picking Up the Pieces

My screeching and jaw clenching alarm went off at the early time of 7:30. 'Time to get an early start on my chores this morning,' I thought to myself as I hopped out of bed. I had the worst dream that I was dating with this cute boy and then all of a sudden I lost all of my memory, it was so sad. After discarding my clothes I stepped in the shower and let the water wake me up. About 15 minutes later I got out and brushed through my long thin hair, and then put it into a French braid. I wasn't going to brush my teeth yet because I haven't eaten, I never understood why people brushed there teeth right when they got up. Brushing your teeth before eating is like wiping your butt before going to the bathroom. I squeezed into some ripped jeans, and an Imagine Dragons t-shirt along with my riding boots. I applied some mascara, and headed out to the kitchen. I was stopped in my tracks when I saw the boys from my dream last night all sitting at the kitchen table. The memory of last night eventually hit me and I realized it wasn't a dream, it was reality.

        "Good morning," they all said in unison.

        "Good morning," I responded back with a lump in my throat.

        "Are you alright?" Jai asked.

        "Yeah I just forgot about this whole situation. I woke up thinking it was a dream, but it obviously isn't," I stated, as I poured myself some cereal and coffee.

        "I'm fine though" I sighed

        "So what are you up to today," Beau asked, with a mouth full of food. I giggled a bit at his messiness.

        "Ugh just the usual, doing my chores then going for a ride," I spoke while munching on my cereal.

        "Can we come?" Luke and Jai asked at the same time. 

        "You guys ride?" I asked furrowing my eyebrows, I didn't pin them as the type to be interested in riding.

        "Yeah, we used to always ride together," Luke spoke, frowning a bit. I didn't know what to say back, but luckily Jai cut in.

        "You actually taught me how to ride," he smiled.

        "Really? Well I can't wait to see if you're any good," I grinned back before finishing my coffee.

         When we finished our meal, we headed out to the barn to do our work. I was mucking out the stalls until I came across one stall that had a horse I had seen once before from Flashes herd. It was the gorgeous mare Jewels, but what was she doing here? She also had a baby with her that was absolutely adorable. I wonder where they came from? She was munching on some hay when she finally pulled her head up to see who was there. Her eyes met mine and it was like looking into darkness. With that one glance this horse had brought me so much pain, but also so much happiness at the same time. I continued to stare at her and it was like watching a movie. I saw what first turned out to be horror form into happiness. I could see a girl stuck in a dark room bloody, crying, and aimlessly trying escape, and then all of a sudden I saw her with her family smiling and laughing around this same stall. A tear slowly slid down my face as a smile appeared. I didn't know if this was a tear of sadness or joy, but it felt good. I was pulled out of my thoughts when I noticed Jai had been watching me. I quickly wiped away the tear as he walked up to me.

        "What just happened?" He asked, curiously.

        "I don't know I think I may have remembered something. What's the story behind this horse?" I asked, wanting to know if what I just saw was real.

        "Well, this is Jewels and you have probably saved her life about three times now. First you found her in the woods with Luke, and she had and arrow in her neck, you removed it resulting in saving her. Second time you were also riding with Luke when you noticed her being chased by hunters. You saved her from that, by being threatened and almost shot at. You brought her home and trained her to be ridden, and then went into a competition with her and you came first. Lastly you were on a ride alone and was knocked out. The hunters came through on the threat and kidnapped you. In the end we got you and Jewels back, but the hit on your head is what lead to your whole memory loss." He explained to me in detail.

        I took a deep breath. "That's a lot to take in," I responded and now found myself petting Jewels.

        "Yeah and this little guy is the product of you saving her life, we had no clue she was pregnant until about two weeks ago. If you hadn't been so brave they would have both ended up in the slaughter house," he said with a little smirk.

        "Before you came in all I could see in her eyes was sorrow, but then joy, and with what you just told me I can certainly understand why. I saw myself in the dark room trying to get out, but then it cut straight to the part of us all standing around right here smiling and laughing," I said while joining up the puzzle pieces in my head.

        "Yeah, we were watching this guy being born, and I had never seen you and Luke so happy together. With all you two have been through with this horse, this baby is practically yours," he chuckled and I smiled at his statement.

        "So what's his name?" I questioned. 

        "You named him Prince," he informed me.

        "After my first stuffed animal," I giggled at the thought of me choosing that name.

        "Sounds like Luke and I had a lot of fun times," I added in as I glanced at Jai who was already staring at me.

        "Yeah, you did," he replied and then there was a bit of a silence between us, but not an awkward one.

        "Hey Kait," he paused, "just take it easy on Luke, as hard as it is on you, it's just as hard on him. He really dose love you and he had to go from you loving him back, to not even knowing his name."

        All I did was give him an understanding smile. I don't really know how I felt about Luke at the moment, don't get me wrong he is super attractive and sweet, but I obviously don't feel the same way about him right now as I supposedly did before.

        "Well, we better get back to work. Are you good now?" He asked while slowly walking away.

        "I'm perfect, thank you," I responded back and he gave me one last grin before walking around the corner to the paddock.

        For once I feel like I actually know what's going on.