Chapter 2 - Twins

Everyone says that my dad's talent lives on in me, which I am not quite sure I agree with because I feel as if I can never be as great as my dad. He was a legend and it puts a lot of pressure on me. He was an amazing rider and he taught me everything I know. Now all I want to do is ride for him, that's how he would have wanted it if he were still here.

        My favourite event is jumping, when I jump I feel free, like nothing can catch me. My mind goes blank and it gives you the thrill of feeling like you're flying. Speaking of horseback riding, I have been training a lot lately for a big upcoming event called the Hudson Derby. We have to do jumping, cross country and dressage, also know as the triple threat. I will be entering in using Puka for cross country and jumping, but I'll use my mom's horse Lila for dressage. She is a black and white Pinto with a long narrow body. It's silly, but sometimes I daydream about using the wild mustang Jewels as my dressage horse, she moves with such grace and poise it's like she is standing on a cloud. Again, I'm a loser I know.

-----------

        After weeks of endless training the competition is finally here. I am so excited and a little nervous to be competing. Not just because of the fear of not doing well and the rush it gives me, but because of one of the competitors. His name is Luke Brooks, he is 18 and to say he is attractive would be an understatement. He also has a twin, his brothers name is Jai. Jai doesn't ride, but I believe he is quite the soccer player, being captain of the school team and in line for multiple up coming scholarships. The two of them moved here from Australia at the beginning of year twelve for their mom's job, so I know the two from school, but other then having the odd class together we've never really interacted. Which is odd due to the fact that our moms are pretty close with each other. In the competition field, Luke and I are pretty much top competitors along with another girl from our school, Chelsea Jones, who is a total bitch.

        The first event will be dressage, which isn't my strongest event, but I'm not horrible I just don't enjoy it as much as jumping. This thought isn't mutual according to my so called enemy, Chelsea. She believes that I am 'shit' at everything. Ever since I have entered shows a couple years ago she has hated me for some reason. I guess it's because I'm competition, but I am always nice, or try to be nice to her, but who knows?

----------

        In dressage I made a few minor mistakes like not making my circles big enough, which I am a little worried about, but overall I did pretty well. My next event was cross country which was fun, but tiring for both Puka and I. In the end we came out with one refusal and then finally getting over that stupid water pit on the second try. We came out with a time or 9 minutes and 8 seconds, not bad. Now my last event was mine and Puka's favourite, jumping. We had a really good run with no refusals, resulting in a clear round. We ended up with a time of 43 seconds, the fastest time on the board. I couldn't be happier. 

        The long day was soon coming to an end and we all began to gather around for the handing out of ribbons. The top five riders all stood in the centre of the ring along with their horses as people crowded around the arena. Those who stood in the middle waiting for their ribbons where, Luke, no surprise there; Chelsea unfortunately; a girl I didn't know, named Haley; a boy who I've competed with before named Jason; and last but not least, me. They called out the names one by one.

        "Fifth place goes to rider 405, Jason Reagan," the monotone lady spoke through the speakerphone as a man handed out the ribbon to him. As for the audience their claps were pathetic.

        "Fourth places goes to rider 189, Haley Morgan," the claps were still lacking except for one group of people who were obviously her family, began to scream and holler.

        "Third place goes to....rider 124, Chelsea Jones." As soon as her name was said my heart sped with excitement. Holy shit I beat Chelsea. I mentally high-five myself. She smiled and accepted the ribbon, but I could see how angry she was as the steam practically shot out of her ears.

        "Second place goes to rider 67, Kaitlyn Rivers," The cheers then picked up and I smiled as I gladly accepted the blue ribbon, which I then placed on Puka's bridle.

        "That leaves first place to rider 101, Luke Brooks," the lady sang through the microphone and the cheers continued. He smiled and happily took the ribbon from the man as Jai ran up and tackled him with a bear hug. I chuckled to myself before being bombarded with hugs from my own family. Before they began to get all giddy on how well I did I quickly excused myself, saying that I need to go congratulate the competition. I made my way up Luke and his brother without really even thinking about what I was doing.

        "Hey congratulations on the win, you did a really great job today," I smiled and he returned the grin as Jai turned around to look who was speaking.

        "Thanks, and you too. Thank god you beat that airhead over there," he whispered the last part and nodded his head towards Chelsea.

        "Yeah well, I'm pretty pleased about that as well, it's about time someone put her in her place," I giggled and he chuckled at the comment. "Next time I just have to beat you as well," I gave him a cheeky grin.

        "I hope there is a next time," he smiled back, nodding his head, and the words made my heart race. "Anyway I've got to go, but I'll definitely see you again. Yes?" He asked as he began to back away, walking towards where his family was waiting for him.

        "Maybe," I shrugged my shoulders, returning the banter as I flashing him a smile before walking away.

---------------

Luke and Jai finally get introduced, and there is much more of them to come. Keep reading and you will see. If you have any advice or ideas, just leave a comment!