Chapter 10 - Victory

The next day everyone was home and I have already informed them that I am training Jewels. My mother and grandpa were a little worried, but Jai had my back saying that I was already making progress. Luke and Danica thought it was cool that I would be training a wild horse, and everything kind of carried on from there. 

        The past few days I have been at a bit of a stand still. I am able to get the saddle and even the bridle on her, but not myself. She will not let me ride her. Trying to think of ways to fix it I have decided to bring her out to the valley where there are less distractions, and hopefully I can ride her. 

        I started off with the usual walk, trot, canter, then I put the saddle on following with the bridle. I went back to working on her speed to get use to the tack. The valley was quiet and peaceful. I could hear the birds chirping, feel the hot sun on my skin, and the wind through the hair. Luckily Jewels was just as relaxed as I was. I brought her over to a rock around the size of a treasure chest and positioned her right beside it. I put my left foot in the stirrup, and slowly began to put more of my weight on it. She didn't react, so I continued to swing my leg over and put my right foot in the other stirrup. I sat there without moving, and she was completely relaxed. I gave her a squeeze with both my legs, and she jolted forward with her ears back, before she eased into a walk. For hours I walked, trotted, and even very carefully cantered around the open field. At around 3 o'clock I headed back to the farm on horse back.

        When I was in sight of everyone that was working outside, they could see I was finally riding Jewels. I got claps and howls for my accomplishment. I jumped off of her and have a little bow while laughing. I untacked and fed her before heading out to the little pond just behind the barn.

        I sat on an old log surrounded by long grass and wildflowers that was positioned right off the edge on the pond. I sat there for about 10 minutes watching the sunset until Luke came up behind me.                  

        "Can I join you?" he asked looking down at me.

        "Yeah sure, I was just thinking of something that involved you," I admitted.                                            

        "Oh, and what is that?" he asked with a curious smirk on his face as he sat down beside me.

        "I want to ride Jewels in the Freestyle, and I want you to help me," I asked with a pouty look on my face.

        "What event?" He nodded his head with interest.

        "Dressage, and I really feel like she and I can do it," I gushed while still giving him my puppy dog eyes.

        "Of course I'll help you, but it's going to be a lot of work" he said scooting closer to me.

        "I know, I know" I said leaning my head on his shoulder.

        He started to play with his lip ring again, so I knew he wanted to say something.

        "Listen, I was wondering if you wanted to go to dinner with me on Thursday?" He asked, nervously.

        "Luke, I'd love to!" I responded, giving him a peck on the cheek, before walking back to the house.

        "Good night," I heard him say.

        "Good night," I responded with a smile.

----------

        A few days have passed and Luke and I have been working with Jewels on our routine non stop. This means that Luke hasn't been doing much barn work, leaving Jai a little pissed, but he will get over it. We worked on circles, tight turns, and speed changes. The basic transitions of dressage. Jewels seemed to be picking up the basic stuff, and had already mastered the skill of being graceful and elegant a long time ago. I literally went from day dreaming about riding her, to it actually happening.