Chapter 16

*Vani Pov*

"Guys, why don't we have our dinner too?" I heard Pallavi asking and glanced up to see her looking at everyone.

"I don't think, it is a good idea." Kamal said and everyone frowned at him.

"Why? Your wife is also here and I am sure she would love this holiday of cooking." Girish said frowning at him.

"Say that you like this idea." He added, staring at me with a glare.

"Are you asking me or ordering me?" I asked, leaning back feeling comfortable with this conversation with him.

"Take it as anything but that should make you stay." He replied shrugging.

"Now, how can I reject you?" I asked, smiling and everyone laughed, making me remember the other people around us.

I glanced up to see Kamal frowning at me making me frown back. Why is he looking at me like that like I did something wrong?

Is he mad that I am making his friends as mine? Does he want me to stay away? What else can be the reason for him irritated look?

"It is going to be my treat by the way to celebrate Vani's job." Girish suddenly said making both Kamal and me frown at him.

"Why would you give treat if I am the one who got the job?" I asked him frowning.

"Now, you just made me happy by getting it in my work place and we can arrange your repaying by buying me food at canteen after you get salary." He replied waving off.

"I think I can pay for the treat as she is my wife." Kamal's words made me literally stagger back even though I am sitting on a chair.

"Kamal! It is not like I can't do it and let me do it for my new friend. You can give her some other treat." Girish said stubbornly.

"Let her decide!" Rakesh said when they both just stared at each other with equal glares.

"I..." I couldn't say anything not knowing what to even say.

I can't say no to my husband no matter how our relation is and I can't say the same to my new friend.

"Are you both kids fighting over paying a bill?" Rupa asked them and I sighed before staring at my hands.

"Girish will give it, but he should take my coffee treat for a whole month." I mumbled and felt everyone going into the silence.

"Did I say something wrong?" I asked, looking at everyone who has a different expression on their faces comparing to others.

"No! Not at all." David mumbled smiling and I looked at him in shock.

I mean, he was normal while having a small conversation, but a smile is something else. I guess everyone's attention turned towards his smile for which he immediately looked uncomfortable.

Surprisingly the dinner went very well more than the day at our home and I felt more at ease with each one of them except her.

She never crossed my line and I never did, not wishing to ruin their friendship and bring any awkwardness to all these gatherings.

"So, it is settled that these both will join us whenever they wish on our weekends." Rakesh stated.

"We can't say for sure if we can as per our duty schedule. Actually, her work should have finished a few hours before, but she extended it as the next receptionist got late. As per me, I need to work late hours or no hours sometimes." Rupa explained when I was busy with eating.

"Fine, madam!" Girish said, smirking at her while she glared back at him.

I felt so envy seeing they both like each other and it was not one-sided to any of them. I sighed before finishing my food and left for the washroom.