Chapter 3

*Kamal Pov*

"I don't know what you will do, Kamal. You should come home this weekend at any cause." I heard what I feared from the past few weeks while dodging her request to return home.

"But Mom..." I started saying along with thinking of a reason to give to her.

"I don't want to hear anything. Here, that girl is waiting for you and you are not even coming here to meet her. You both should get to know each other more before marriage." She said and I closed my eyes.

"Mom! I believe that it would be better to not talk about marriage. I mean, I don't know her and she doesn't know me. Maybe we both are just not compatible." I said and waited for her reaction.

"Don't worry, Kamal. You know a lot about her and she knows so much about you. I am glad that you too think, you should meet her and get to know her on your own. I will be waiting for your return then." She said and hung up the phone while I took it away from my ear to stare at it in shock.

"Did she again, not understand the meaning behind your words?" Rakesh asked as a statement staring at my stunned face.

"Yes! When I said it is not good for this marriage as we don't know each other, she thought I am thinking about getting to know her on my own." I replied and sighed.

"Maybe you should try more than simple words." Pallavi suggested.

"Like what? My studies will finish soon and then I don't know what will happen." I said rubbing my forehead.

"When your wedding gets fixed and you say that the wedding should not happen, she would think you want it even earlier than that date." Girish said laughing while I glared at him.

"What will you do? Are you going to visit her this weekend?" Pallavi asked, frowning at me ignoring Girish.

"No! I have exams in a few days and I don't want any tensions at present." I replied shaking my head.

"Then?" she asked, still frowning.

"Then... then I will be having an extra class at the last minute." I replied after a few minutes and she smiled but the remaining three looked at me in shock.

"That is not a right thing, Kamal. She would be waiting for you." David said shaking his head.

"Like I said, I need to concentrate on more important issues." I said, getting up from the table and walked away from the canteen knowing well I would change my mind if I stay there for another second.

"I am sorry, Mom. I... I have extra classes. I can't come home this weekend." I said the next day after returning from college.

"Oh! Can you at least try? It's been so long since I saw you." She said in a sad voice.

"Mom! I saw you just a few weeks back." I pointed out and she sighed.

"Yes! I just... leave it. Ok, then! I will prepare her by the time you come." she said finally and again hung up.

"What does she want to prepare her for?" I asked out-loud forgetting the presence of my friends around me.

"Maybe to assure your fiancé that you don't look that bad like she thinks of the reason she always ran to the other side whenever you are home." Girish uttered like he is helping me to figure out my question.

"Very funny!" I said, shaking my head without raising my voice and continued to study along with them.

"Why do you fear your mom so much?" Rakesh asked bluntly when we were having our dinner.