The Test

Recap: "Because if you fail..." He began, standing up and leaning over to whisper into my ear:

"I'll kill you."

Story Start::

My eyes widened, and I stared at Itachi for a good five minutes. Was my training really worth it? I knew that he was way stronger than me... And what if the task he gave me was something impossible, that only someone of his skill level could complete? Would I be willing to die, just to train with him?

"You'll... Kill me...?" I breathed, but I didn't sound scared, which was just odd.

The raven-haired criminal nodded, his face blank. "Yes. That is our real mission, after all."

"Plus, you've seen us," Kisame added, "The last thing we need is for you to go blabbing our location to your meddling village." I shot him a pointed glare, turning back to Itachi. 

I'm pretty sure I was insane when I answered, "Alright. Deal."

"You do realize that you'll be giving up your life here, don't you?" Itachi said, staring me down.

"It's... I'm willing to do whatever it takes," I said quietly, folding my hands properly onto my lap.

"You've got guts, kid, I'll give you that..." Kisame muttered, smirking as Itachi and I shook hands. The Uchiha's hand was cool and surprisingly soft, although parts were a bit rougher from training.

"Thanks," I said with my own smirk. "Now, what's this test?"

Itachi pulled out a small packet, handing it to me as he took his seat again. "It's poison. An odorless, tasteless, colorless form of poison. No ninja can detect it, unless they are a medical ninja one, and they must be skilled at it," He explained.

"And what am I supposed to do with it?" I said, eyeing the small packet that was held in between my fingers.

"Simple. You're going to slip that into Ryuu's drink... And kill your own brother," He said emotionlessly.

My jaw dropped open, and I gaped at the Uchiha. All right. So maybe all remaining Uchihas are insane.

"You can't be serious," I said.

"I didn't stutter. I mean this," He said easily.

"You want me to kill... What... Why?" I asked, flabbergasted.

"You saw how he acted. He would interfere with your training; it's a given fact. And he's showing signs of weakness. Those of the Akatsuki have no weakness, even when it comes to family ties," he stated quietly, "Plus, he's still in trouble for interfering with the Nine-Tails's capture, as well as yours. He's changed too much, and he knows too much to let him live. We're going to kill him, and you're going to help."

"Your brother's like a rubber band right on the brink of snapping. He's an unpredictable bomb, a mess waiting to happen. You being here has made him feel something for the first time in years. And it's dangerous. He's a liability now," Kisame added.

I stared at them, trying to close my mouth. I finally succeeded, but I was still completely shocked. "Ryuu's been loyal to you for years! How can you just... Just do this without thinking about it? He's your student!" I argued.

"Ryuu's loyalty is to his family, not to anyone else. And that was okay for some time, seeing as all of his family was dead. But that's not the case anymore. You're here, and he'll put you over everything and everyone else, even his duties as an Akatsuki member," Itachi explained.

"Then... Then kill me! If what you're saying is true, I'm the problem here, not him! Why should he suffer for me?" I objected, my hands placed on either side of the table.