The Third Hokage's Funeral

I stared blankly at the small shrine the villagers had set up in memory of the Hokage. Above it was the mountain that had the faces of the Hokages on it. The face of the Third Hokage had a crack across it. I wonder... Could it have been a sign?

The rain fell on us, the sky dark and ominous. It was covered in clouds, with no light peeking through whatsoever. Maybe... Maybe even the sky's mourning the loss of our beloved Hokage.

I stood in between Naruto and Kiba, with Sakura and Sasuke behind us. The crowd of shinobi was silent, staring straight ahead as the rain poured down on us. Konohamaru stood next to Iruka-sensei, crying his eyes out.

"Iruka-sensei... Why... Why do people risk their lives for others...?" Naruto asked, staring at the Hokage mountain. Already, I knew this would be a depressing conversation.

"When someone dies... That's it. There's no coming back, no changing what happened... If they die, they die, and their dreams and goals die right along with them. However... There's something more important to people that just their dreams and goals. Family, friends, villagers... We all have them. And in some shape or form, they're all connected to us, and we share a special bond with them that grows and expands as time passes. There's no real reason, Naruto. Nothing you can prove logically. People just do it," Iruka-sensei answered with a solemn expression.

"... Yeah... I get it. But dying... It's not something people look forward to," Naruto said, and I found myself staring at the picture of the Third Hokage.

"That's true, but... The Third Hokage didn't die in vain. He left us all something very important... Something you'll understand when you're older," Kakashi-sensei said from behind us.

"Hey... I get it, okay!? Give me some credit," Naruto said, grinning his big goofy grin. Suddenly, his expression turned serious. "And what do you think about it, Minxie...?"

I stood quiet for a while before I answered, "Honestly, I don't know, Naruto. There really... Is no logical and solid reason to it. Look at it this way. Remember when we were in the forest? How you tried everything in your power to get me out of that prison? How you were ready to sacrifice your life to protect those precious to you? That's it. You don't think about it. It just... It happens. All because we love others, and because they love us."

"Hm... Yeah... I think I really do get it," He agreed after a while, staring at the ground in thought.

"I wonder... Do you remember the poem the Third Hokage used to say to us? Well, it wasn't a poem... But it sounded like one. It said: 'Where tree leaves dance, one shall find flames... The fire's shadow will illuminate the village... And once again, tree leaves shall bud anew'," I began, blowing my bangs out of my face. 

"I didn't get what that meant until now. I'm actually surprised that I remember it. But I wonder... Do you think that's true? That it'll happen?" I asked, looking up at my former sensei.

"... A long time ago, the Third told me of a Will of Fire... One that, supposedly, all Konoha ninja possess. He told me that it was the burning desire to protect Konoha. In this whole attack... We defended our village; we didn't back down. You didn't, either, none of us did. And that means that you all possess the Will of Fire," Iruka-sensei answered.

"But, in answer to your question... Yes, I do believe that it'll happen. Actually, I believe it's already started," He continued.

"Huh?" Naruto voiced, raising an eyebrow.

"All of you have inherited the Will of Fire, better than it was ever expected, too. It may not happen right at this moment... But, eventually, those tree leaves will alight, coming to protect the village once more. All of you... You are those tree leaves. You'll all grow, advancing and strength and skill... Then there'll be a point... Where you're just not kids anymore. You'll be the burning flames that illuminate and protect the village... Shaping the future of yourself and your village," Iruka-sensei finished, smiling down at Naruto and I warmly.