The Chase

I woke up to an annoyingly bright light shining down on me. I blinked, squinting my eyes as they adjusted to the unfamiliar and bright light. My vision was blurry, but I could make out shapes. There were three people surrounding me, and a few seconds later, my vision steadied enough for me to realize who they were.

"Oh my gosh! Minxie! Are you okay!?" Kylie asked frantically, her hand feeling my forehead and checking my limbs.

I swatted her hands away with a scowl on my face. Then, the huge headache kicked in. I clutched my head, mumbling, "Oww... God damn! Did you people drug me? I feel high."

"Well, she's back," Mitchell noted, but there was no sense of humor on his face like there should've been.

"That's all you have to say?" Josh said, raising an eyebrow.

"Well... Yeah... Should I say something else?" I said, eyeing him as if he was the crazy one.

Mitchell turned to Kylie, his violet eyes slightly widened. "I thought you told her."

"I did..." She muttered back.

"Tell who what? What happened?" I inquired, feeling the headache leave me. Hm... Why was I on the floor? Strange.

Josh, Mitchell, and Kylie exchanged sad and nervous glances, which all freaked me out.

"Guys... What's going on?" I pressed, feeling myself rise from my sitting position slowly.

"Oh, Minxie..." Kylie said, tears forming in her eyes. Josh put and arm around her, and his gray eyes were filled with pity and sadness as he looked at me.

"Well, neither of you are gonna tell her, so..." Mitchell's tone then became deadly serious. "Minxie, Sasuke's gone. He left the village some time last night. Sakura tried to stop him, but he knocked her out. Two shinobi found her this morning, and the Hokage sent out a squad of genin led by Shikamaru to chase after him. I'm sorry, Minx."

My jaw almost dropped to the floor, and I was about to faint all over again. Mitchell's arms were around me in seconds, though, keeping me upright.

"Is... Who's on that squad...?" I asked in a voice barely above a whisper.

"Shikamaru, Choji..." Mitchell muttered, and I started to feel my heart sink. "... Neji, Kiba, and Naruto." And those last three names killed me, especially the last one.

"Wha... What?" I hissed, my voice bearing viciousness that I didn't even think I could possess. "How could... All of that happened... And no one told me!? No one even contemplated waking me up!?"

"We knew how you'd take it. I just wanted to spare you the pain," Kylie said, a tear falling down her face. But I didn't care. I was too angry.

"Spare me the pain? You think you spared me the pain? I feel like my heart's been ripped out of my chest, Kylie! The pain I feel now... I can't even describe it! Sasuke's gone, which kills me! And now the rest of my friends are on a life or death mission!? How could you do that to me!?" I screamed. 

My blue-haired friend struggled to form a sentence. "I'm sorry, Minx! I really am! Please just-"

"NO! Your 'I'm sorry' means nothing right now! You guys are supposed to be my best friends, yet you keep things like this from me!? I... I... I don't even know what to say to you three anymore!" I said, pushing myself out of Mitchell's comforting and warm arms.

"Where're you going!?" Mitchell exclaimed, trying to wrap me in his grasp once more. I didn't let him.

"To save my friends, who're probably laying in the forest half dead by now!" I snarled, jolting upstairs to my room. I got ready at an inhuman pace, and made sure that I packed extra medical supplies. I had a terrible feeling that this mission was far more dangerous than expected.