What's Mine Is Yours...Unfotunately: End

Start from the beginning

                “No, no honey no,” Mrs. Callisto says wrapping her arms around me.

                “But it is,” I protest softly.

                “No, it isn’t. We all heard what happened. He and you told us the whole story,” she says sternly.

                I don’t reply. Instead I grip onto James’ hand harder.

                After a moment’s silence Mrs. Callisto starts speaking again.

                “That boy he was starting to develop a second personality. I guess he couldn’t stand someone leaving him again. It’s actually quite sad and if my son weren’t lying here I might have felt sorry,” she tells me and then waves her hand dismissively.

 “Anyways, he’s going to therapy. He’ll be there for as long as that takes and then he’ll be going to jail for six months before finishing off with another six months of community service. I’m sure I could have made him stay in jail for years, but he’s a kid. And I think once he gets help he could have a future,” Mrs. Callisto finishes.

I can tell this is hard for her. I’m sure deep inside her she wants to have Ca-him rot in jail. I would want that too. Actually I want that now. Looking at James so fragile and delicate, wondering if I’ll ever see that amazing smile that lights up his eyes, makes me want to see him behind bars for the rest of my life.

Heck for the rest of eternity.

“You should have,” I respond my voice icy.

“Honey, this is hard,” she replies wrapping her arms around me a little tighter, “But there’s no reason for me to ruin his life. Maybe if James doesn’t wa-which won’t happen then I’ll make sure he’s behind bars, but for now trying to forgive is the best answer,”

My brain tells me she’s right. It tells me she’s trying to be mature about this. I know how much pain she’s going through. A mother’s love runs deep. But my heart disagrees. My heart wants to find Caden and beat him senseless.

“How can you be so sure?” I ask sounding a lot more angry than I mean to.

She gives me a little squeeze before letting go completely.

“Because once you give up your right to revenge you can move on. You can get rid of all those negative feelings; all that hatred,” she pauses and takes a deep breath, “I remember when James’ uncle disappeared. We were all very frustrated. I was very angry because James’s father was suffering. He loved his younger brother dearly. But guess what? My anger and hatred didn’t do anything productive. It didn’t bring him back or hurt him. Hate is like drinking poison and hoping it’ll hurt the other person,”

She’s right.

“Who would have thought he left with Caden’s mom,” I say icily.

She shrugs.

I look back at James and squeeze his hand.

“I haven’t forgiven him,” I say.

“Me either,” Mrs. Callisto responds, “It’ll take a long time for me to get over the fact that he hurt my little boy, but for now I won’t do anything rash. Besides he wasn’t-isn’t- mentally stable,”

I simply nod before laying my head on James' arm.

“Mrs. Callisto?” I ask.

“Darling, don’t call me that,” she says.

I smile but it’s hidden against James warm skin.

“I love your son,” I tell her.

“I know,” she replies almost immediately.