What's Mine Is Yours...Unfortunately: Chapter 4

~Serenity~

                “I’m Serenity.” I say a little unsure.

                They smile and then nod like if they were stupid for not recognizing me.

                “Oh, darling you look all bruised up!” Mrs. Callisto exclaims. I shrug.

                “Watcha gonna do?” I ask. She smiles and shakes her head in a disapproving manner. Like if it's wrong for me to not care. Hmm, maybe it is.

                “Um, if you don’t mind me asking why are you here? I have to get to school…” I trail off looking past them at the street. I'm going to be so late now.

                “You’re not going to school today.” Mrs. Callisto says.

                “Um, I have to. I have a math test.” I argue.

                “You can make it up tomorrow.” Mr. Callisto says.

                “Umm…” is my genius response.

                “Well, Serenity we know what you did for our son and to get right to the point we want you to come live with us.” Mrs. Callisto butts in.

 But I’m not listening anymore.

                “How?! How do you know!” I ask starting to hyperventilate. There was no way James told them. What if everyone knew?

                “It’s on the paper sweety. The man in the car had faulty brakes and he jumped out of the car before it crashed in the lake. He heard you and James talking and then took your names and did a background check. He then published the story first thing this morning.”

                “Wait, he did a background check?”

                “Yeah, he’s a pretty important man and has connections everywhere.”

                “So everyone knows I’m an orphan now?” I choke out my eyes widening and filling with unshed tears. For years I’ve hidden this secret and now? Now everyone in the whole fricking state knew! Maybe even the country!

                “Yes, but you won’t be anymore. You can come live with us and we’ll get you new clothes. I don’t know, anything you want. You saved my son’s life!” Mrs. Callisto exclaims like if that solves everything. I am not letting James's parents adopt me!

                “I can’t go live with you.” I say letting a few tears slip. They don’t really care about me. They just want a way to repay me for saving James’ life.

                “Well why not?” a new voice says. I turn to see Mary smiling already with an extra back pack in her hand. I immediately know it's all my belongings. And yes sadly enough everything I own can fit in an average sized back-pack.

                “Mary-“ I start, but she puts her hand up silencing me.

                “You’re almost eighteen, soon we would have had to throw you out. Just go with them. Please, please don’t make me do that.” She begs with fresh tears in her eyes.

                I groan.

                “Well, then it’s settled.” Mr. Callisto says clapping his hands together and taking the bag from Mary. How is this so easy for them? How can they talk about my life like if they were talking about the f*cking weather?

                “I can’t call you my parents.” I say letting them know.

                Mrs. Callisto sighs. “James told us you would be like this and it’s okay that’s why we’re only asking you to come live with us. We won’t be adopting you until you want us to.”

                I nod my head before hugging Mary.

                “You come visit me, okay?” she says in her usual stern voice. She acts like a big grizzly bear when inside she's as frightening as a teddy bear. Still she doesn't have to tell me twice.

                “There's nothing that can't make me." I assure her. She grips on a little tighter.

                "Can’t bre-breathe.” I wheeze out and she chuckles softly before letting me go.

                Then, I walk right past the Callisto’s and get in their car not bothering to let the chauffer open the door. I hear Mrs. Callisto chuckle in the background.

                Moments later I hear them enter the car and take a left.

                “Why are we going to the center of the city?” I ask. Their house is on the outskirts of town away from the hustle and bustle of the city.

                “I told you Serenity you are not going to school.” Mrs. Callisto answers.

                “Yeah, but this is not the way to your house either.” I say matter-of-factly.

                “Yes, that’s because we’re going to give you a makeover.” She replies casually.

              WHAT?!?! No way am I letting myself be barbie-fied. No way in hell!

                I open my mouth to protest, but she shakes her head in your-doing-this-no-matter-what gesture. I'm still going to protest when I get an idea.

                “Fine, I’ll do it.” I say.

                She smiles and says, “But.”

                I look at her confused. How does she know there is a but?

                “I have a teenage son.” She answers and I nod in understanding.

                “We do it after school and my friend Kat comes with me.”

                “Very well then.” She replies before telling the chauffer to go back towards home.

                 One minute out of the orphanage and I'm becoming soft? This is so not good. Normally, I would never have bended to someone's will so easily. Maybe it's knowing that Mrs. Callisto is an important person or maybe it's wanting to see Kat's reaction when I wave a limit-less credit card in her face. I hope it's the second option because if it's the first I'm so screwed.

                “Maybe James should go with you two so that you guys can bond.” Mrs. Callisto say more to herself than anyone else.

                That’s when reality hits me and guess what? It feels like a mother-f*cking train.

                I’m going to live in a mansion, get a make-over, face everyone who now knows I’m an orphan, and I’M GOING TO BE LIVING WITH JAMES! The same guy who basically yelled at me for saving his life.

                Well, this is going to fun. Note the sarcasm.

A: okay, I know super short, but I won’t take six days to upload this time more like one or two! And the next chapter which contains James’ reaction, Kat's reaction and the shopping spree is where the humor finally kicks in so please stick around for that!!

Please please leave me feedback. Vote & Comment!