What's Mine Is Yours...Unfortunately: Chapter 25

~James~

                Once Serenity was gone from the cafeteria I detached myself from Meghan. Of course Meghan knew what was going on and she too moved a bit farther away from me.

                What? You really didn’t think I would use someone, did you?    

I lean over to Kat, “It’s working,” I say almost giddily.

                “Like a charm,” she responds winking.

                I laugh. Oh Serenity. How jealous you must be; exactly how I felt since Caden took you out to lunch.

                “She’s head over heels for you,” Meghan says getting up to throw her lunch away, “I should know. I’m a girl,”

                With that she gets up from the table and leaves. I grin. Gosh, I hope that’s true.

~Serenity~

                The rest of the week was spent pretty much the same way; James and Meghan sucking face, my blood boiling, and Josh carrying me away.

                I finally stopped ordering salads yesterday, Thursday, when it started becoming a health issue and a waste of cash.

                But I have to say today is going to be the worst lunch yet. How do I know? Caden will be there.

                Dreading the lunch bell I listen to my English teacher, Mrs. Lucia, go on about the author’s style of writing and its importance. After another twenty minutes of meaningless words escaping her mouth the bell rings.

                I pack my stuff up slowly and walk out the classroom at a turtle’s pace. I don’t even eat at lunch anymore anyways so what’s the point in getting there early? I used to rush to the cafeteria, along with everyone else, to get in the lunch line, but now there’s no point.

                Soon the hallways are empty and I know if a teacher sees me still making my way to lunch they’ll give me a detention. Not really wanting a detention on a Friday afternoon I speed up a little and go into the cafeteria.

                I spot the gang, including Caden, at the usual table; the one in the back right corner. And yes I know it’s weird that Caden and James sit at the same table, but believe it or not they have been civil towards each other since Meghan came into the picture.

                Yeah, he really did forget about me.

                Moodily I walk towards the table. At least today Kat had convinced me to put on a pair of skinny jeans and a navy blue blouse. She had also come over and done my hair and make-up. I could have cared less, even if she made me look like a clown, but she did make a point when she talked about dignity.

                But even though I look pretty, not to mention uncomfortable in high black pumps, I still don’t feel any better.

                “Looking good,” some guy winks at me.

                I simply nod my head in acknowledgement.

                I’ve been getting that a lot today. I haven’t said thanks to anyone. One because I have a boyfriend, not that any of the guys actually respect that, and two as you’ve most likely noticed I’m not in the mood.

                But don’t get me wrong no one’s been man enough to say anything in front of Caden because they all know he’ll punch their faces in. Okay so he’s not that violent, but still. Well, no one except Josh, but it’s not like he’s actually hitting on me.