What's Mine Is Yours...Unfortunately: Chapter 20

A: Here's the upload for this weekend! Please vote and comment! Thank you to all the people who take their time to read what I write!:)

“What do you mean?” James asks frowning.

I gulp. I shouldn’t have done that.

“You kissed me,” he continues, “Face it Serenity, you have a thing for me,”

I sigh, “I-know, no I-it’s not that,” I manage to get out.

“What then?” he asks looking at me skeptically.

I let out a long breath.

“I’m letting your parents adopt me. You’ll be my brother soon,” I state confidently.

That’s it. Confidence. Confidence is what you need Serenity!

“Step-brother,” he clarifies.

“Yeah, but that still means you’ll have to act brotherly around me,” I reply emphasizing the word brotherly.

“So tell them you don’t want to do it anymore,” he responds getting closer to me again.

I step back, but there’s nowhere else to go. I’ve hit the wall.

“I haven’t told them yet,” I say.

He grins then, “Perfect. Don’t tell them at all,” he states like it’s the most obvious thing.

I look away for a second. I didn’t want to tell him this, but he’s left me no choice.

“There’s also something else,” I reply.

“What?” asks cocking his head to the side.

Damn that’s adorable.

“I- I’m not, uh, “I start.

Just spit it out!

“I’mnotsingleanymore! I’mCaden’sgirlfriend,” I say rapidly so that the words are one single jumbled mess.

                Then, I wince and look away from James. There’s no way I want to see his reaction to that one.

“What?” I he asks voice tight, but I can tell he heard every word that came out of my mouth.

“It’s official,” I say gulping.

He grabs my chin then, not hard enough to hurt me but a bit tight, and stares into my eyes. He looks devastatingly hurt. I fidget a little then, but he doesn’t let go. He keeps searching my eyes like if I were lying.

After a while he sighs in defeat and steps away from me. A strong part of me yearns to take it all back; to reach for him and have him hold me, but I don’t do anything.  I simply watch as he runs his hands through his blonde hair.

Then after a while of silence he turns to me and grins.

“You can’t have a boyfriend if he doesn’t exist,” he calls as he starts running away.

At first I’m too stunned to process his words, but once I do I make a dash after him.

“NO James! You can’t kill Caden,” I yell heading towards the main entrance.

What kind of idea is that?! Hmm, then again I did see him talking to Kat the other day.

I shake my head at the thought. I'm going to kill that girl!

~Josh~

                “Tiffany, I-I don’t think that’s my place,” I start feeling bad for denying my childhood friend something.

                “But Josh, I really think,” she starts, but I cut her off.

                “Move on,” I say even though it hurts me to say it.

                “James has other plans,” I continue, “He’s fallen for someone else,” I finish hoping I didn’t sound as cruel as I thought I did.

                But it’s better to tear the bandage off instead of beating around the bush, right?

                “But Josh,” she pleads in the brink of tears.

                “I’m sorry Tiffany, but there are plenty of other guys out there,” I state wiping off a stray tear from her eye.

                Suddenly her eyes widen in shock.

                “You kissed me back,” she mumbles before asking loudly, “Josh do you like me?”

                “Wait, What?” I reply stepping back.

~James~

                I run to my car just as Serenity bursts out the door.

                Okay so I’m not crazy here. I get it that I would go to jail if I kill Caden so I’m simply going to beat him up. It’s not like I would actually listen to Kat and Josh. Like I said I’m just going to ensure something by inflicting bodily pain on him. You know, that way I can make sure he doesn’t try anything with Serenity. That makes sense, right?

                I jab the key into the keyhole and start the car making sure to lock the doors just as Serenity makes it to the parking lot.

                Finally, I put the car into reverse and start backing out; fast.

                “James!” Serenity yells sprinting even faster to where I am, but it’s too late. I head out the gate and speed down the road; driving like a madman. I guess I just need the speed to calm me.

                I’m not sure where Caden lives, not that I would really like to know anyways, but I do know he has the night shift at a local mechanic. I think he might be there tonight.

                If he’s not then I’ll just have to pound him in the morning.

                Still it’s worth a shot looking for him tonight.

~Serenity~

                I run, but of course a car is faster and James makes it out of the gate before I reach him.              

                Where is he going anyways? I mean he doesn’t know where Caden lives! Gosh I don’t even know!

                I rack my brain for a few seconds before remembering what Caden said about working at a mechanic every other day or so.

                I wonder if James knows that.

                Well, it doesn’t matter. I still have to find Caden to warn him.

                Wow, great girlfriend I am! I don’t even remember his phone number!

                Shaking my head at my mediocrity I run to the Callisto’s garage.

                Let me tell you something. The Callisto garage is better than a dealer. There’s just as many cars and all of them are at tip top shape as well as special and state of the art. But now is not the time for me to fawn over the beauties in front of me. Now I have to try to get the guy I like from killing my spontaneous boyfriend. Why is there so many things wrong with that sentence?

                Anyways, I’m not especially proud of this part, but once inside the enormous garage I pick the closest car to me and hotwire it.

                Yeah, there’s a few things you learn when you don’t have parents.