Chapter Forty-Six: Homecoming

Juliana examined herself in the long mirror hanging against the back of her bedroom door. She was clothed in a green skater dress and two inch nude heels. She did her usual makeup routine, except this time she applied more dramatic eyeshadow. Her hair was done by her sister, which she curled and clipped behind her head.

"You look stunning," Sarah complimented her older sister as she watched her reapply another coat of pink, shimmery lipgloss.

Juliana turned around, rolling her eyes playfully. "Stop," she laughed. "Thanks."

"I wonder what homecoming queen Brittany Rivera is wearing," Sarah said as she daydreamed about all the gorgeous dresses Brittany could possibly be wearing to the dance.

Juliana grabbed the white and green boutonnière from her nightstand, meeting eyes with her younger sister. "Don't say her name like that. She's not famous."

Her sister shrugged. "At West Coral she is," she said as Juliana was annoyed by her words. "I can't wait to see what she's wearing at pictures."

"She's going to be wearing a dress. I don't know why you're having a conniption over this," Juliana said with an annoyed tone in her voice as she opened the door of her bedroom. "I'm going downstairs. Jake should be here soon."

Sarah sped after her, chasing her down the steps. "Jake Flemming! He's so cute!" She exclaimed as their mother turned around from putting earring on in the mirror. Her eyes widened. "Not as cute as Jordan Evans. He's so hot."

"Sarah!" Juliana hissed, turning to her mother who couldn't help but laugh. "Could you tell her to stop?"

Their mother turned to Juliana. "Oh, I remember the days you did this to Lily," she said, reminding Juliana of her older sister who was in her last year of college. She knew her mother was right. There was a time when she was obsessed with her sister and her friends back when she was in middle school. "Give Sarah a break. She's just excited for high school."

"Fine," Juliana said as she fixed her hair in the mirror.

Sarah had a smile on her face. "Thanks, mom. You're right. I'm so excited to go to school with so many cute boys."

Their mother turned around, pointing to her youngest daughter. "Okay, but that has to stop," she said sternly before laughing. "Enough with the boys!" She went to hug her. "I want you to stay my baby forever."

Juliana heard the hum of Jake's car pull up to the side of her house. She was quick to grab her things before turning around to her mother and sister. "He's here. I'll see you guys at pictures."

Her mother and sister waved to her as she walked out of the house and towards Jake's Volkswagen beetle. He had a smile on his face when she opened the door and stepped into his car. "You look great. The green is a nice color."

"Thank you!" She exclaimed as she closed the door behind her before buckling her seatbelt. "Also, thank you for driving me. I know you live right next to Brittany and I'm out of the way."

He shook his head as he put the car in drive and began to speed off. "Nah. It's not like you live too far, anyway."

She nodded her head slowly as she looked out the window. "I'm sorry," she apologized. His eyes widened. He had no idea what she was sorry for. "I'm sure there was a bunch of other girls you wanted to ask to homecoming but you were forced into going with me because of Brittany."

He shook his head in disagreement. "What other girls?" He questioned as he chuckled. "I don't talk to other girls. And, I told you. She didn't force me into anything," he reassured her even though that wasn't the truth. He continued to stay loyal to Brittany. "I wanted to go with you."