The Captain and the Empath

The patients were almost within touching distance when-

"GO TO YOUR ROOM!" The Doctor shouted.

All the patients in the ward stood very still, I didn't think they were blinking or even breathing.

"Go to your room. I mean it. I'm very, very angry with you. I am very, very cross. Go to your room!" The Doctor yelled, pointing at the beds behind them.

The patients hung their heads in shame and shuffled away, back to their beds. 

"I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words." He grinned at me and I laughed.

"Why are they all wearing gas masks?" Rose asked, looking between the three of us.

"They're not." I muttered.

"They're flesh and bone." Jack told her.

"How was your con supposed to work?" The Doctor glared at Jack.

"Simple enough, really. Find some harmless piece of space junk, let the nearest Time Agent track it back to Earth, convince him it's valuable, name a price. When he's put fifty percent up front, oops! A German bomb falls on it, destroys it forever. He never gets to see what he's paid for, never knows he's been had. I buy him a drink with his own money, and we discuss dumb luck. The perfect self-cleaning con." Jack explained with a slight smirk.

"Yeah. Perfect." The Doctor mumbled.

I rolled my eyes. Men.

"The London Blitz is great for self-cleaners. Pompeii's nice if you want to make a vacation of it though, but you've got to set your alarm for volcano day. Getting a hint of disapproval." Jack winked at me again and I laughed.

"Take a look around the room. This is what your harmless piece of space-junk did." The Doctor gestured around the ward. 

I could feel the Doctor's jealousy rising and decided to make a game out of it. I wandered over to Jack, glancing between him and the Doctor. He knew my intentions automatically and wrapped an arm around me, making the Doctor's eyes blaze and my smirk grow wider.

"It was a burnt-out medical transporter. It was empty." Jack replied with a grin that said 'I have my arm around your girlfriend, and there's nothing you can do about it'.

"Rose. Jordyn." The Doctor said, trying to maintain a calm voice.

"Are we getting out of here?" Rose asked, casting a worried glance between the Doctor and me.

"We're going upstairs."

"I even programmed the flight computer so it wouldn't land on anything living. I harmed no-one. I don't know what's happening here, but believe me, I had nothing to do with it." Jack told him.

"I'll tell you what's happening. You forgot to set your alarm clock. It's volcano day." The Doctor spat, turning around, avoiding my eyes.

All of a sudden, a siren sounded. 

"What's that?" Rose asked.

"The all clear." I replied.

"I wish." The Doctor muttered and I rolled my eyes.

The Doctor took off up the stairs with Rose following close behind.

"Are you dating him?" Jack asked, turning to me.

"Dating in the broadest way possible."

"What happened?" 

"I can explain later. Will you help me make him jealous though?"