The Doctor and the Captain

The Doctor pulled out his super-binoculars to scan the area. Afterwards, he handed them to me to make sure the area was safe. I handed them back to him and nodded. We were in the clear.

"The bomb's under that tarpaulin." Nancy told us, pointing to the area. "They put the fence up over night. See that building? The hospital."

"What about it?" I asked, turning to her. The Doctor turned to her as well, wrapping an arm around me.

"That's where the Doctor is. You should talk to him."

"For now, we're more interested in getting in there." The Doctor replied, pointing towards where the bomb was supposed to be.

"Talk to the Doctor first." Nancy insisted.

"Why?" I questioned, frowning at her.

"Because maybe then you won't want to get inside." She turned around and started walking away. 

"Where're you going?" The Doctor called.

"There was a lot of food in that house. I've got mouths to feed. Should be safe enough now." She started off again when a thought occurred to me.

"Can I ask you something?" I called and she turned. "Who did you lose?"

"What?" She frowned at me.

"The way you look after all those kids. It's because you lost somebody isn't it? You're doing all this to make up for it."

"My little brother. Jamie. One night I went out looking for food. Same night that thing fell. I told him not to follow me, I told him it was dangerous, but he just. He just didn't like being on his own." She sighed and avoided both our gazes.

"What happened?" The Doctor asked softly.

"In the middle of an air raid? What do you think happened?" Nancy snapped.

"Amazing." The Doctor muttered.

"What is?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"1941. Right now, not very far from here, the German war machine is rolling up the map of Europe. Country after country, falling like dominoes. Nothing can stop it. Nothing." He seemed to be talking to me more now than Nancy. "Until one, tiny, damp little island says no. No. Not here. A mouse in front of a lion. You're amazing, the lot of you. Don't know what you do to Hitler, but you frighten the hell out of me." He turned to Nancy to tell her the last bit. "Off you go then do what you've got to do. Save the world."

Nancy walked away without another word.

The Doctor used his screwdriver to open the padlock on the ornate metal gates to the hospital grounds. Inside the long, dark wards, every bed had a patient in it, and they were all wearing gas masks. An elderly, grumpy doctor appeared, leaning on a walking stick.

"You'll find the everywhere. In every bed, in every ward. Hundreds of them." He muttered, gesturing to the various patients on the beds. 

"Yes, we saw." The Doctor told him. "Why are they still wearing the gas masks?"

"They're not. Who are you two?" He squinted as he was just noticing there were two of us.

"I'm, er. Are you the doctor?" The Doctor asked him.

"Doctor Constantine. And you are?" He repeated.

"I'm Jordyn Avery." I stepped forward and smiled at the man. I noticed how awkward the Doctor was feeling at introducing himself as the Doctor to the Doctor.

"Nancy sent us." The Doctor told him.

Constantine's eyes went wide. "Nancy? That means you must've been asking about the bomb."