The Unquiet Dead

When we stopped at the house where they were keeping Rose, I have to admit, I was surprised.

It seemed like such a small, kind place to live. I couldn't believe this was the place that held the kidnappers of my best friend.

The Doctor helped me out of the carriage and I hopped down into the snow. We walked up to the door and Charles knocked.

A woman answered the door. She seemed perfectly harmless.

"I'm sorry, sir." She said to Charles. "We're closed."

"Nonsense." Charles objected. "Since when did an Undertaker keep office hours? The dead don't die on schedule. I demand to see your master."

"He's not in, sir."

I glanced at the Doctor, he nodded his head. I took that as a signal that I could go. I pushed past Charles and the woman, darting up the steps before she could stop me.

I peered into the rooms, until I came across a locked door. I tried to open it multiple times, but since it wouldn't budge, I knew I had to figure something else out.

I pulled a hairpin out of my hair, and tried to use it on the lock. It should be known that this was the first time I'd ever even attempted doing this. Yet, somehow, I opened it within five minutes. Beginner's luck?

I fell into the room, and onto my face. A pair of hands lifted me up just as the door slammed behind us. I glanced up at the face.

"Rose!" I exclaimed.

She laughed at me. Then we heard the door lock.

"Fat lot of good you did." She remarked.

"Oi! I can't help it if that bloke locked me in here with you!"

"Hey," she hit my arm and gestured behind us. "It's that woman from earlier. Are you alright? You're kidding me, yeah? You're just kidding. You are kidding me, aren't you?"

Right after she said that, the woman climbed out of her coffin and started walking, zombie-like, towards us.

"Not kidding, Rose!" I yelled, banging on the door.

"I know!" She cried.

We slammed on the door as much as possible, meanwhile the woman's corpse continued to get closer.

"Let us out!" Rose screamed.

"Open the door!" I shouted.

"Please, please let us out!" We both yelled together.

"Let us out! Somebody open the door! Open the door!" Rose screamed.

Suddenly, the woman grabbed me by the neck and began choking me. I strained against the woman, grabbing at her hands to attempt to stop her.

My vision became blurry with the lack of oxygen, but I could make out the Doctor's face. He pushed the woman away from me and muttered something I couldn't make out.

I was gasping for air, rubbing my throat. The Doctor pulled me closer to examine my neck, while I caught my breath.

"Normally you would be fine," he muttered. "Do you mind?" He asked. I knew exactly what he was talking about. I turned around automatically, and he pushed the braid out of his way.

"She didn't break it obviously, but it might be bruised." He whispered.

"Will it be okay?"

"It should be. Once we get back to the TARDIS, you are going to rest it."

"Okay."

"It's a prank. It must be. We're under some mesmeric influence." Charles proclaimed.

"No, we're not. The dead are walking." He told Charles as he placed his arm around my shoulders. "Hi." He said to Rose.