Chapter 38 - One Step Ahead

Chapter 38 – One Step Ahead

“I’ll kill you!” Steven yelled as he charged forth.

“Heh…” Legacy laughed softly.

“Steven, wait!”

Everything happened so fast. Steven took a step forward and once his leg touched the ground, there was a soft indescribable noise. Then, there was a ‘prrk!’ sound.

“Arrgh!” Steven wailed as he collapsed to the ground, clutching his ankle.

“Steven!” Isaac quickly rushed to his aid. “Are you alright?”

Jutting from his leg was a long, slender dart, with its tip injected right into Steven’s skin. There was a mysterious black liquid dripping from the dart, and it did not look very… healthy.

“Damn!” Steven cursed under his breath.

“I recommend you don’t make any unnecessary movements.” Legacy said.

“What in Arceus did you just inject me with?”

“Oh, that? Just a little Ariados toxin – Very lethal, even in small amounts but surprisingly slow-acting. Ariados love toying with their prey before consuming them, I presume.”

“Arrrgh…” The areas around his ankle were already turning black and if what Legacy said was true, Steven needed medical attention, and fast!

“Legacy, where’s the anti-toxin?” Isaac stood up and asked him.

“What makes you think I have it?”

“You don’t have it? Steven could die!”

“And that concerns me… how?”

“Wha…!”

“He’s just a thorn in my side – the sooner I get rid of him, the better.” Legacy said coldly.

“Do you not value human life? How can you attempt to kill someone and not even bat your eye?” Isaac shouted back.

Legacy did something and suddenly, lights flooded the dark room. “How can you tell whether I'm batting my eyes or not?”

“Ah!” Isaac quickly shielded his eyes when the bright lights came on. It took a moment for his eyes to adjust to the new brightness. When he finally opened his eyes, the room came into view.

The room was much bigger than Isaac had envisioned. The sides were long and empty and were completely devoid of any furniture. Right at the end of the room, there was a lone man sitting behind a desk. His face was oddly familiar to Isaac.

“Is that you?”

“Do you see anyone else here?”

“You look… familiar.” Isaac said bluntly. “Have we met?”

The man laughed. “Why don’t you try and remember? Perhaps this would help.” Legacy retrieved a pokeball concealed under his desk and sent out a Pokémon.

‘BOOM!’ An Alakazam instantly appeared beside him, brandishing both its spoons in an intimidating manner. There seemed to be a weird aura emanating from the Alakazam, and distorted the area around it.

“Ah!” Isaac screamed when he realised. “You’re that scientist guy we met on the entrance to Route 30! The guy with the Weezing!”

“Hahaha that’s right!”

“Wait… That day, when you first heard my name, you said something strange…”

“What is it?”