Chapter 19 - Bugsy's story

Chapter 19 – Bugsy’s story

<Route 38>

  They day was scorching hot. The sun was glaring down from the sky, blasting large merciless beams of sun onto any travellers who dared venture out of the shade. Isaac shuffled his feet as he walked slowly on the long and arduous Route 38.

  “What is up with the weather today? Groudon have mercy on me… I feel like I’m melting…” Isaac muttered to himself. At his side, a ghostly cloth floated carefree at his side with a large permanent smile, completely oblivious to the sweltering heat. “I hope you’re having fun, Shuppet, because I’m not.”

  Earlier, Morty went on to get Isaac to accept the Shuppet as a new member of his team, since ‘it wouldn’t be doing much in the gym anyways’. Seeing as it is a request from a gym leader, Isaac really had no reason to decline. Besides, Shuppet seemed to like Isaac a lot and was always sticking with him since it met him. Isaac still had not chosen a pokeball for it so at the moment, it was still floating at Isaac’s side and kept trying to get closer to lick Isaac’s face with its unArceusly long tongue.

  “Argh! Shuppet! Would you stop that?” Isaac shouted as Shuppet as brushed off by him after yet another failed licking attempt. “Seriously, there are other ways to show your affection!” His advice fell on deaf ears as Shuppet continued its childish behaviours. He sighed. “Never thought I would by babysitting Pokémon…”

<Azalea City>

  “W-What? YOU are Bugsy?” Maisy exclaimed.

  “Huh? Who is Bugsy?” Emma wondered. “What did you mean by fallen gym leader?”

  “The gym leader of Azalea City is this man, Bugsy!”

  “Azalea’s gym leader is Kirsten, is it not?” Emma asked, puzzled.

  “I told you, Emma. Kirsten is just the unofficial gym leader of Azalea City, after her father took control of this town and turned it into a city.” Maisy explained. “Officially, out gym leader is still this man – Bugsy!” She held out both her hands and gestured towards the old man.

  Emma took a closer look at him. Nothing of his appearance gave Emma the impression that he is – or was – a great trainer, but looks can be deceiving. After all, she saw firsthand how Leader Bugsy handed his Scyther with such skill. The man was hunchbacked and had many cuts and bruises not only on his arms, but also on his face. His hair was a dirty white colour, as if it was another colour before. If Emma had to guess, she would say - purple. His face carried a weary look and his eyes were always not fully opened since they met him, however, there the wrinkles – or lack thereof – were a sure sign that the man actually was much younger than he looked. His clothes were a simple green shirt and shorts which needed washing and a bright yellow scarf hung loosely on his neck.

  “Calm down, no need to let the whole world know about my presence.” The man spoke slowly. “Now, if you don’t mind-“

  “Hold it!” Emma quickly stopped him. “Please, can we at least talk, even if it’s only for a moment?”

  “Sorry girl, but I’m afraid I hold no power now. Kyle had won many years ago. Now, I’m just a nobody.” He said.

  “We need your help. My father has been kidnapped.” Emma decided it was best to just go straight to the point. “Please, you are an excellent trainer. Help him.”

  Bugsy paused for a moment before saying, “The Johto Police Force would be more of a help than I’ll ever be. Have you asked for their help yet?”