Chapter 33 - Mistaken Identity

Chapter 33 – Mistaken Identity

<Cherrygrove City; Steven's House>

“Are you sure it was Team Rocket?” Isaac yelled at his Pokégear.

“Yes! They were wearing their trademark black suits, I would recognise that anywhere!” Donnel wept. “Isaac, what do I do now? The police are now believing my story! They think it’s some sort of prank!”

“Calm down, Donnel. What would your sister do?”

“I-I'm sorry, Isaac. I'm so hopeless, I guess I'm just not cut out to be a trainer.”

“Donnel, listen. I’m going to rescue your sister now, alright? She’s going to be fine.”

“No Isaac, you mustn’t! You can’t go alone!”

“I’m not going alone. Steven Stone would be helping me.” Isaac pointed his Pokégear towards Steven’s direction.

“Umm… Hi?” Steven waved awkwardly.

“Oh my Arceus are you really THE Steven Stone. I'm, like, your biggest fan! Blah… blah…”

Isaac quickly hung the Pokégear up.

“Who was that kid?” Steven asked.

“The kid I was telling you about, the one I had lunch with.”

“Isaac?” Emma asked in a small voice.

“What is it?”

“Is Annabelle the one who was eating with you? That girl who told me to take the Johto Express?”

“Yeah, that’s her.”

“Why did they kidnap her too? She had nothing to do with this.”

“They probably needed something from her father, so they…” Isaac stopped midsentence when he realised Emma’s expression.

“Why are they targeting everyone, and not me?”

“Calm down, Emma. There’s probably-”

“Isaac, do you think my father is still alive?” Her whole body was shaking with fear.

“I…”

“Tell me the truth. What do you think?”

Isaac looked on the floor. He could not answer.

“Yes! He is still alive!” Blue suddenly said. “It’s up to you to save him. If even you lose hope, then all would be lost.”

Emma collapsed onto the couch and soft wailed could be heard coming from her direction. Isaac did not know what to do.

“Why did you tell her that?” Isaac whispered to Blue. “You are just giving her false hope!”

“Kid… sometimes, you just have to say what she wants to hear. If I told her what I think, how would she react? A beautiful lie is easier to accept than the painful truth.” He nodded slowly. “Can’t you see that see needs someone to comfort her? I've seen the way you look at her. Go.”

Isaac blushed and quickly went towards Emma. “I'm sorry, Emma. Blue is right, we can’t lose hope now! Your father needs us more than ever!” He put a hand on her shoulder.

“I-Isaac… On board the Johto Express, someone died. I was there, but he still died. Sometimes, I wonder if this is all for naught… I wonder if I am doing all the wrong things.”