Chapter 37 - Powerless to help

Chapter 37 – Powerless to help

<Indigo Plateau; Conference Room 3>

There was silence in the room. Everyone turned to stare at Bugsy – Leader Bugsy. Some had their mouths wide open in shock while others just smiled, as if to say, “I knew it!”

Bugsy looked around the room. There were some familiar faces, but the one most familiar to him was already standing close – Falkner. Over the years, Falkner did not seem to age much. He must have trained a lot to have kept his body in shape.

“Bugsy…” Falkner said.

“Falkner.” Bugsy replied. “What’s up?”

“Don’t give me that!” Falkner suddenly shouted. “Where the hell were you all these years?”

Bugsy was stunned – Falkner was usually calmer and more composed. What had happened during the past fifteen years?

“Ahem!” Someone gave a very over-the-top clearing of throat.

Bugsy immediately turned to see a rather large man staring at him. He was tall in stature and had a full-blown moustache grown all over his face. He regarded Bugsy with a stern and frowning face and just looking at him made Bugsy feel very uneasy. “Y-Yes…?”

“Who are you?” He asked. “What premises do you have to intrude upon this sacred meeting?”

Bugsy did not recognise the man. However, he seemed to give off an important vibe across the room so it was probably in his best interest to answer. Bugsy took in a deep breath before speaking. “My name is Bugsy, and I’m the gym leader of Azalea Town. I am also a member of the Pokémon association and the leading researcher on Bug Pokémon!”

The man was silent for a moment.

“May I ask…? Who are you?” Bugsy asked the man.

“My name is Dusan Hristo, and I’m the Chief Inspector of Goldenrod City’s Police Department.”

Bugsy had never even heard of him before. How did this man get to be part of the Pokémon Association?

“No offense, Leader, but how come I have never-”

He was cut off by Falkner. “Bugsy! What happened to you all these years?”

Bugsy looked around the crowd. They were all looking expectantly at him, all anxious for an explanation. Suddenly, he saw one man which he knew all too well. “Well, Falkner… It’s a long story. But I’m sure all of you have heard his version of the story, right?”

Bugsy pointed straight to a man sitting near the back rows of the room. He seemed shocked that Bugsy managed to pick him out from the crowd.

“Kyle Hedge…” Bugsy growled. He would recognise his face anywhere. “Long time no see.”

The man pretended to look confused and glanced around his seat to feign innocence.

A smile crept to Bugsy’s face. Finally, he would get another shot at taking on Kyle, the bane of his existence.

“Kyle!” Falkner shouted. “Get your fat-ass down here! I want to hear what Bugsy has to say!”

The man glared at Falkner with anger and slowly got up of his seat. With agonising slowness, he lumbered his way down the stairs to the front of the room where Falkner and Bugsy were.

“What do you want?”

Bugsy took a good look at him. It looked like Kyle had really let himself go these past fifteen years. He could barely stand on his bare feet and required an additional walking cane for support. However, the permanent looking in his eyes were still the same – condescending as ever.