Chapter 48 Losing My Cool

"No! You're not going to school." I was trying my best to control my temper early in the morning. Our argument dragged all the way to the kitchen. She insisted on going to school with a nasty bruise on her face that a concealer could not hide.

"Yes, I am, Chase!" She easily retorted while twirling the tip of the tendril that fell off from her messy bun. "I don't like being absent." She glared at me full force. "And who gave you the authority to think and decide for me?"

"Again, I'll say it. You are not going to school today, Myah." I busied myself on preparing some breakfast near the sink. "By the way, it isn't a question of who has the authority. Your argument is pointless."

"How can it be pointless?" Myah stood behind my back in akimbo.

I turned to face her, towered over her petite size while my lower back supporting the kitchen sink. "Pointless because you will only believe what you want to believe."

"But..but..No it isn't like that." She was pouting. Lost for words like a fish out of the water. Her face crimson with obvious embarrassment.

"And what is it then? Tell me." My eyes engulfed the pretty sight in front of me. Myah looks so adorable in my huge jersey tucked into an equivalent huge pajama that barely showed the toes of her feet. Her eyes sparkling with defiance and the blush on her cheeks slowly fading away. Her lips I've been longing to kiss since the start of this discussion.

"Chase, again I don't like being absent from school. That's one. I don't want you or the rest of the team acting up like bodyguards for me. All of you have lives to live. That's two." Myah moved away from me and proceeded to get a bottle of Gatorade from the refrigerator. "And three, it's just a bruise. It's not gonna cripple me."

"I am completely aware of it. But you're forgetting something, Myah. Those people who are after you are still at large. We've been through this conversation before." I almost slammed the frying pan I've been gripping for a few minutes now just to provide emphasis on the note of her safety.

She stopped midway on her steps towards me upon seeing my strong grip on the cooking equipment. I let go of it, not to frighten her with my raging temper. "I didn't mean to anger you, Chase."

"I'm beyond angry. I'm furious! Why is it hard for you to see what we are trying to do here? We're trying to protect you." I turned off the stove and lost the enthusiasm to continue cooking omelet and bacon.

"Oh..Okay.Okay! There's no need for you to get all worked up so early." The hesitation was audible in her voice as she shifted weight from one foot to another. "I'll let you have your way on this matter, Chase."

"Are you trying to be funny, Myah? Have my way? Maybe you mean your way?!" The sarcasm penetrated the snickering I gave her. "Actually, we let you have your way many times but looked where it led you. You've been battered twice by the same people. They almost killed you twice too. The fates must have been looking out for you since you always escape every near-death experience. Walking a thin line of luck and any day it can run out too."

Her face downcasted shielded by the waves of hair. Arms at the back. I was about to reach out to her when the sobbing became loud. Myah ran into me, taking the wind out of me momentarily. Her arms wildly wrapped around me. Her face cradled by my neck. I can feel her tears and my shirt getting wet. My right hand went up and down her back to console her. A little bit guilty of my temper and outburst. "I'm sorry. I went overboard."

Myah leaned back with her wet contorted face. "It was my fault. I pushed you too much and it seems like I can't handle the things you're telling me."

"Let's just say we have lots of things to know and learn from each other." I murmured into her forehead and she nodded.

"I think so." She buried her face in the crook of my neck one more time. Her breath creating tiny tingling sensation building and starting to torment me.

"GFord was right. He told me to give you a good sleep and once you recover you'll be a ball of energy again ready to take on the world." I hugged her tightly to me.

"He did?" I heard her ask softly.

I nodded as she looked up at me. "And he told me you'll be giving me a hard time. But I never knew you can be such an adorable crybaby."

"No, I'm not, dimwit!" The girl in my arms hissed back and made me laugh a little. "Is my parents aware of what happened to me?"

"Yeah, they are. I tried coming up with a good lie last night but I couldn't. So I have to tell them everything." I can feel her heart beating next to mine and it matches mine. It's like beating as one.

"How about the school?" I can feel her trying to wiggle out of my embrace but I didn't let her.

"Your parents are going to take care of it. I think they did because I woke up with Coach Stibbs' text message asking for updates on your condition." She mumbled something incoherently and her hands disentangled from the back of the neck and landed on my chest.

"Are we gonna stay this way forever?" She's no longer sad. Myah's left brow in an arched already. "My tummy's growling like a hungry lion."

"I like it this way," I said next to her ear.

Myah chuckled. "Enjoy it while it last."

"I am definitely enjoying," I told her laughing throatily this time and earned a slap on my left shoulder.

I nestled my face into her hair. I can hear her swift intake of air. I peppered tiny kisses on the cheek. Bit her earlobe lightly. I heard her laugh and sigh breathily. "Can I kiss you?"

"You're doing it already." She answered softly.

"I want to kiss your lips." And her eyes opened wide and covered her mouth.

"Why?" I inquired.

"Not yet. I haven't brush my teeth. Morning breath." Blushing made her look so innocent and beautiful. I couldn't control it but laughed at my heart's content.

"I don't mind at all," I smirked and slowly dipped my face to kiss her full on the lips. I felt her smile in it. She tasted Gatorade.

Kiss and make up.