Chapter 27 Sunshine

I stood stuck from where I was standing. My birthday.Today? That feeling I had the entire day was because of this celebration. I forgot my very own birthday. How can I do that to myself?

My mother's genuine smile pulled me out of the trance. She hugged me like a baby and kissed my forehead. I turned to face my father's cherry face. "Happy birthday, Xamyah Christiana Roswell. My little girl is growing up so fast."

"You're right, honey. She's seventeen already. This is unbelievable." My mother uttered while looking up at my father with loving eyes.

"Did you prepare all of this?"I inquired with enthusiasm.

They both shook their heads. "These are all your teammates' ideas."

I'm not disappointed. I'm just overwhelmed knowing the boys' effort for such surprise.

"You're so beautiful, my love." My mother pulled the two of us in a warm embrace.

"Thanks,Mom!I love you both.I wish Paul was here." I whispered the last line afraid to break the momentum of happiness.

"Same here,  Myah. We love you so much. And how I wish your brother was here too." He just sincerely placed his hands on my cheeks and gave me a wonderful smile."I know he's happy watching us right now."

"Go now and mingle with your friends." My father tapped my shoulder while Mom pushed me by the back.

"Do you like our surprise?"Zareena was still at my back. I nodded and hugged her real tight. "I'm still speechless," I told her, eyeing the group on the farthest corner of the backyard engaged in a conversation.

The whole area was lit up with series of hanging light bulbs. The left side was for the food station while the opposite has the sound system. There were tables and chairs scattered and the middle portion was empty. Hand in hand, my best friend and I walked over to the boys. They were laughing and Jessie was on his usual funny personality. I did my own mental roll call and discovered Chase and Luke's absence.

"The birthday girl is here." Zareena squeaked upon reaching their location.

"Hi, Myah!Happy birthday!" It was Randell who met me with a tight hug and the rest followed.

"Thanks, guys! I don't know what to say." I'm almost teary eyed but tried to control it as much as possible.

"We don't want our coach crying. Let's celebrate tonight by going to the buffet table. I'm hungry already." Phil's segway made the entire team laughed as we moved to get food to fill our stomachs.

"I haven't seen Luke."I elbowed my best friend lightly and almost let go of her plate.

"Are you really looking for Luke? He wouldn't miss this birthday of yours. I'm sure of that. He'll be here anytime soon."Her eyebrows raised inquisitively. "Tell me, bestie. You're searching for another person."

"What are you talking about?" I retorted while digging into the potato salad.

"Absolute denial huh?"Zareena countered.

She was reading me like an open book. I was looking for Luke really but I want to know too where Chase was. I just don't want her to think that Chase was that needed and important. Was he? a part of me asked out loud. Maybe. Maybe not.

"What should I be in denial of?" I whispered.

"Answer that yourself, Myah." She snickered still trailing behind as we went back to our table. "Just say it. Say his name. He's obviously not Voldemort-you-know-who."

I almost choke on my food with her crazy reference to the Harry Potter villain. "What are you? The Spanish Inquisition?"

"You wish, sister." She laughed after flicking my forehead but wasn't looking at me. "My oh my, Myah. Isn't that guy a sight for your sore eyes?"

Before Zareena could finish what she was saying, I had this tingling feeling of being watched from the back. I looked around and was met by gray eyes. Chase's eyes. He smirked boyishly with one hand scratching his nape. His confident stride oozes charisma that made him look good in a black outfit. Long sleeves folded by the elbow and low slung pants. His hair disarray since it's starting to grow long just like GFord's.

"Sunshine?" Luke's voice brought me back to sanity.

"Hey, Lukey boy!" I stood up and went into his brotherly embrace.

"Happy birthday, little sister!"He whispered with a brief kiss on my forehead and looked up into the night sky. "Paul, my brother, it looks like I'm going to have difficulty warding the guys off on your sister. She had grown into a beautiful independent girl."

I punched him lightly in the right shoulder. "Thanks, Luke!"

"Mind if I steal the birthday girl away from you." Chase's voice sounded breathy and warning bells ringing in my ears as my hands gripped Luke's arms.

My brother's best friend chuckled. "Now it has begun, Paul. I can't seem to shoo this guy away." He was talking to no one in particular. I had to pinch him. This time he was laughing and eyed the guy next to me. "Not at all, Chase."

Chase held his right hand for me to accept. I was trying not to smile at the thought swelling in my heart. I placed my hand in his and funny sensation creeping into my entire system.

"Can we go talk somewhere else?" He said after intertwining our fingers.

"You want to talk? About what?"I asked quickly.

He snickered. "Don't get all worked up, Myah. I just want to talk. I'm not gonna propose to you."

"You bastard!"I hissed.

"That's more like it," Chase uttered as we managed to pull me inside the house.

The moment I stepped into the house my phone lit up with a text message from my mother.

Myah, your dad and I had to drive to your grandmother's house. We don't want to interrupt your celebration. Just have fun. Enjoy with your friends. We'll make it up to you these coming days.

It's fine. I understand. Send my regards to Mama La. Tell her I miss her. I typed in and send the reply.

Will do, kiddo! was my mother's quick response.

Chase was still standing next to me with an amused expression. "Happy birthday, Myah." He pulled out something from his pants' back pocket. A small green box just the size of a matchbox.

"What's this?" I inquired when he placed it on my palm. My heart pounding so loud.

"A simple gift for you." I can feel the sincerity of his voice. "Open it."

Nervousness made me fumbled on unveiling the content of the box. "Sorry for being a klutz." My fingers touched the silver necklace and were awed with the engraved words "Sunshine" on it.

"Let me put it on you." Chase took the jewelry from my hand and put it around my neck. It touched my exposed skin cold and my fingers trailed on it.

I stopped and looked at Chase. "I'm speechless, Chase."

He laughed. "You're not." He held both of my hands in his. "A simple thank you will be fine."

"Thank you, Chase." I blushed, tiptoed to bestow a kiss on his cheek.