Chapter 38 Falling Out

My right hand continued on sketching an image on the bond paper. It was the insignia I saw embossed on the back of the unknown person's hoodie that night Myah was attacked. I know I have seen that before somewhere else. I couldn't just pinpoint or put a name on it.

It was an image of a black flame with edges trimmed in silver. There were characters fading in the background. It wasn't an intricate design at all but I'm having difficulty figuring it out. I'm getting frustrated so I stood up and crumpled the paper in my hand. I walked out of my room, run down the stairs into the kitchen to get a bottle of beer.

The moment I stepped into the door GFord's forlorn figure turned to me. He was holding a bottle of beer as well. I acted as if he was not there at all while proceeding to get a bottle from the refrigerator.

"How is she?" He asked amidst the silence.

"Why bother to ask?" I countered facing him on the kitchen island. "The last time I check you don't care at all, brother."

GFord smirked evilly. "So touchy when it comes to her."

"Yes, I am." I took a swig from my bottle but eyes still on my older sibling.

"Chase, I don't want to argue with you right now. Just answer the damn question." The butt of his bottle landed on the island with emphasis.

"Why would you like to know?" I glared at him with full annoyance.

"I just want to.." He trailed. "Never mind." GFord started to walk away from me.

"Why is it so hard to talk to you nowadays?" I said aloud and he stopped on his track sighing.

"I don't know, Chase. I feel like we're drifting apart as brothers and we can only understand each other if we compete on something. That's how it has been lately." His back was on me.

GFord continued walking out of the kitchen. "Myah's getting better," I said out loud to catch his attention.

He stopped again and this time turned to face me. "I wish her well."

"You can visit her if you like. I can come with you." I suggested and he smiled like he used to do. Genuine smile. Heartfelt.

"I like that." And drank the entire content of his beer. He retraced his steps to where he came from.

My annoyance melted into relief. Yes, GFord was right. We have been falling out on each other for quite some time. We were each other's best friend but when we reached high school, everything changed. I really don't know why. It was GFord who started being distant with me. He seems angry with the world, with everything even to me. And my instant reaction was to hate him back. Then there's the start of our competition. We have to prove who's the best between the two of us.

He got two more bottles and placed it in front of us. His eyes landed on the crumpled paper beside the bottle. "What's this? Are you trying to write a love letter to Myah?" He picked it up before I can stop him from seeing the content.

"What's this, Chase?" His voice demanded and his eyes stared at the emblem on the paper with recognition.

"The night Myah was attacked before I found her unconscious, I think the guy I bumped was one of the perps." GFord's attention was all on me. " I saw that at the back of his hoodie. There were two of them walking away from the isolated location in a hurry to blend with the thinning crowd."

"Are you sure?" He crumpled the paper abruptly.

"No, I'm not." I turned around and leaned on the sink both hands with head bowed down. "That's just my theory. That's how I understand it."

"Did you tell anyone about this?" He came nearer to me.

"Nope. I left out that part when the officer asked me questions about how I found Myah." I tilted my head to his direction. "Do you recognize the insignia, GFord?"

My older brother nodded slowly. "This is an emblem of an underground syndicate, Chase. They deal with anything illegal in this city. They are called the Brunswick Syndicate."

"And how do you know this stuff?" I asked him while opening the bottles of beer and handing him another.

"I have my ways. I circulate with these kinds of people." He said calmly.

"And what would they want from Myah?" I raked my hair with my fingers when it started to cover my eyes.

"I'm not sure, Chase." He gulped and sipped from the bottle.

Myah, you're in big trouble.