Chapter 42 To The Principal's Office

I got pulled out of the class before lunchtime to the principal's office which happens very seldom at all. My mind was running full knots with the scenarios of possible reasons being sent to the school head. I was trying to stick to the notion of basketball. And yes, I was right because when I stepped into the office Chase and Luke were there. Even Coach Stibbs was there too, engrossed in a conversation with Principal Rudd.

"Settled down. Seems like everybody is here." Principal Rudd eyed everyone with an all-knowing look before sighing and sitting on the black swivel chair. He was wearing immaculate long sleeves with a tie and gray slacks paired with shiny black leather shoes. "I appreciate having you at this meeting, Steven."

The Coach just nodded and bestowed us with his trademark genuine smile. He was in his usual athletic outfit of a fitting soccer shirt, loose cotton jogging pants, and rubber shoes. "I'm supposed to be on leave, Doyle. I would be lounging on the couch by now and watching ESPN. Let's get down to the business."

The principal laughed a little. "Loosen up, Steven. You're too serious with your routines. You haven't changed a bit ever since we were young. Don't be like this old boring geezer, guys!"

"Me?Geezer? What do you call yourself?" Coach Stibbs countered lightly. "King of the school?"

Our eyes traveled back and forth between the grinning principal to the annoyed coach.

"Never mind us, kids." Principal Rudd dismissed the exchange with the wave of his hands. "Steven and I have been friends for quite some time and we know how to get on each other's nerves."

"He's my best buddy in high school. Your principal is the bad boy and I'm the geek sidekick." Coach shook his head with the descriptions. Luke, Chase and I could only laugh a little.

"Come on, Doyle. Let's not bore the kids with the trip down the memory lane." Coach's face turned hard and pinched the bridge of his nose.

Principal Rudd stood up, walked near the huge cabinet and leaned his back on it for support. " I received the notice for the State Invitational. New Harold's basketball team has been chosen to represent our bracket. The team's performance with the current InterHigh is very much impressive and was used as one of the bases for the team to be selected."

The three of us has been quiet all throughout. Occasionally, we nodded our heads to affirm or glanced at each other.

"Myah, I know you are aware of this news but failed to deliver it to me due to that horrible incident." Principal Rudd's eyes landed on me and I could only nod one more time. "I'm very much aware that Steven hasn't been around the team for the InterHigh due to health reasons. But I demanded his presence today."

"You don't have to rub it to my face, Doyle. Myah is doing great in handling the team." Coach Stibbs' rolled his eyes at his friend.

"Did I say anything like that, you fool?" The principal countered jokingly. He went back to his seat. " I'm mainly concerned about you, Myah."

"That's right." Coach Stibbs agreed.

"Why?" I blurted out. I looked at Luke and Chase than to the two respected men in school.

"Myah, I spoke with your parents on the night you were rushed to the hospital. Paul's death traumatized them including you and now, you have to go through a horror of your own." Coach Stibbs delivered each word with the blow to my heart. "They even asked to take you off your role as coach."

"Don't do that, Coach." My voice came out pleading. My tears starting to rise from my eyes.

"Relax, Myah. Steven and I have talked about this for a couple of days already. We're not going to strip you of your designation." Principal Rudd's entire face cracked into a pleasing smile. I had to sigh loudly to much his reaction. "Steven is still on leave and is not yet fit to work. I can't pull out any other teacher to substitute or even hire a coach. You're doing great with the team why would I remove you."

He continued. "I spoke with your parents over the phone the other day and mentioned that they had a talk with you about quitting but you insisted still to be the coach."

"I admire your passion, Myah. You know very well that you're in danger but still, the desire never falter." My brother's mentor gave me a quick salute.

"Thank you, Coach." I smiled while the boys chuckled.

"Your parents are our friends way back then. Truly I understand their sentiments about your safety and I can't question their doubts about security when they already lost their firstborn to unresolved crime." The principal lowered his head not in shame but in sadness. "Paul was a good athlete, academic achiever, a brother and a son but was lost abruptly to those scumbags who took his life."

"We want to be cautious moving forward." Coach Stibbs said in a soft manner. "I've suggested having Mr. Eddie accompany the team, assist you during the invitational and every game in the InterHigh. He's going to be your tail, Myah."

"Do whatever you think is appropriate, Coach Stibbs and Principal Rudd. I may not agree with your suggestion having Mr. Eddie as my bodyguard but I know you're after my welfare." I said in a firm voice.

"As for the two of you," Principal Rudd pointed to Chase and Luke. "You might be asking why you're here." And both of them nodded like meek lambs.

"Myah can't do all the monitoring of the team and the members by herself. I want the two of you to be vigilant with the members' activities for the shady business that might endanger the life of every team member. Do you understand me?" The headmaster addressed them with a stern look.

"Yes, Principal Rudd." Both chorused.

"We need each other's cooperation on this matter," Coach added tapping his finger on the principal's table.

"You're dismissed." Chase and Luke stood up right away almost forgot that they have to wait for me.

"Take your lunch and skipped the next class. I'll have Doyle's secretary to inform your teachers." Coach Stibbs instructed and the boys' lit into big smiles.

"Why do you have to do that, Steven?" The principal's eyes bulged from its sockets.

"We subjected them to extreme uneasiness. Don't you think they deserve a rest? Do you remember when we got sent to the principal's office coz you set our Chemistry teacher's hair on fire? I was sweating like a pig from nervousness. And you're the one who said I'll loosen up a bit." Coach Stibbs tapped his friend's shoulder.

"You're just getting back at me for calling you an old geezer earlier." Principal Rudd pointed out with a worried look.

"No, I'm not. Why don't we get out of here? Your office suffocates me. I'm collecting that lunch you promised me when you called earlier." The veteran coach has this devilish wink upon walking out of the door and us following him.

"Okay. Wait for me at the parking lot and we're heading to Danny's Diner. I just need to leave some instructions to my secretary including the one about skipping class." He placed emphasis on the last part that made Coach Stibbs laughed out loud.

We said our excuse to exit from the principal and the coach. We walked in silence and our feet brought us to the open pantry. Automatically our bodies moved to where the team was settled. Chase behind me and Luke on my left.

"I've heard you got called to the principal's office." Phil inquired once we settled on our seats and just nodded as a response.

"Are you in trouble?" Randell seconded as they all looked at the three of us. We just shook our heads.

What just happened?