Chapter 4 It Will Never Last

My temper rose to another level upon knowing I'll be stuck with Chase in his Toyota Tundra latest edition along Jessie and Randell. On the other Camry was Luke as the driver joined by Phil and three others. I stayed silent while listening to the constant banter of the two guys at the backseat. Danny's Diner was a twenty-minute drive from the school where most of the people go for takeouts and the best fries in town. Chase acted as if I never existed because he just bothered laughing with Jessie's corny jokes.

I leaned back, settled on the cool cushion of the seat and slowly closed my eyes. The effort to bury the anger more of a frustration with the impression from the guy on the steering wheel.

"Sunshine, are you all right?"Phil inquired and touched my forehead.

"I'm all good, Philly. The light is hurting my eyes." was my plain excuse.

Finally, the truck came to a smooth halt and parked outside of the diner beside Luke's vehicle. Jessie opened the door for me and I got out. The other door slammed unceremoniously by the owner who I know very much was pretty annoyed with me.

The group entered the homely ambiance of the casual restaurant. I looked around and found Zareena seated on one of the long tables at the farthest corner that could fit up to fifteen people. She waved at us. I guessed Luke called my best friend to join us while on our way here. I waved back at her with renewed strength.

"Zareena, I'm glad you're here. Where have you been all day?" I settled myself on her left side after a brief hug.

There was excitement in her blue eyes. " I was a little bit busy today with some school stuff." She stopped when Luke wrapped his arms around her waist and peeked on the cheek. "Hey, honey. I missed you."

"And how I miss you too, baby. " Luke sat beside her and rested his chin by her shoulder.

"Oh come on, guys! Too much PDA!" I covered my eyes. "Don't do these sweet moments in front of me." I grinned mischievously at both of them after some time.

"So what's the buzz? Everybody looked elated." Zareena chirped after the boys took their sets on the other side of the table. I felt Chase presence next to me on the couch even though my back was on him. "And who might you be?" That tone of voice was of intrigue and interest as my best friend scanned the guy's totality.

Jessie snickers were louder than the rest. Zareena's annoyed look shifted to the team clown. "What's with the suspense, guys? You, Jessie, spill it out!" She's unstoppable when she wants something. The other party was waiting for Luke to interrupt his girlfriend.

"Honey, don't get all worked up. Go on easy on, Jessie." Luke said like it was not a whisper but enough for all of us to hear.

"Then tell me what it is." She mellowed when the blond waitress in red apron approached our table with the meaty burgers and greasy fries followed by a pitcher of ice tea and canned sodas.

"Okay. The new guy is Chase Landon. He's going to fill in Paul's position as team captain." Luke started after munching on the fries.

"Hi, Chase!" My friend's eyes were beaming with surprise and extended her hand. "I'm Zareena. Luke's girlfriend and Myah's best friend. I'm sorry for my rudeness a moment ago. I sometimes have the habit of thinking out loud."

Chase accepted her hand for a shake in front of me. "Nice to meet you, Zareena. I just have the impression that the girls of my new school are quite a handful."

The boys are in agreement with his last statement. All of them were laughing. I had to glare at him again but it didn't affect him at all.

"You know what, Chase.." My best friend trailed off. "I think I'm going to like you." It garnered another round of boisterous laughter.

"Well, I'm happy to hear that. No offense, Luke." Chase gestured tipping an invisible hat towards Luke. "Noted." replied the other guy.

Then Zareena excused herself from the boys talk while pulling me behind her to the girl's bathroom. "Oh my God. That guy is sizzling hot, Myah."

"You think so?" Again my annoyance resurfaced. "He's an arrogant bastard." I untangled the bun. let my hair down and stared at the face on the mirror.

"I can sense animosity from you. I know you are not impressed with the new guy, my friend." She dabbed some lipstick and pouted in the mirror. "Your standards are quite high. At the back of your mind, you are already measuring and comparing Chase Landon to Paul Roswell. That impression of yours, it will never last I tell you."

I just leaned my back on the wall of the bathroom. Zareena was right.

"Those guys are two different individuals. There is only one Paul Roswell in this lifetime. For the team, Paul was the best ever. Chase will either surpassed him or just be himself by doing what's best for the team."

"I get your point, bestie." I sighed deeply.

"Good. By the way, congratulations on the assistant coach position." Zareena opened her arms wide for another tight hug.

"How did you know about it?" I exited the bathroom ahead aware that she just at my back.

"The usual. The boys can't keep secret when it's all about you. They blurted it out during the phone conversation I had with Luke on the road. I had them on speaker phone." Her entire face lit with amusement.