Chapter 8 Such Reactions

Zedd's Clarity blasted from the hidden corner speakers of the basement when Chase and I united with the rest of the troop.

"Look who's here!" Randell called out upon seeing Chase leaning back on the door

"Hi, Randell. Hi, guys!" He spoke aloud amidst the music. "Thanks for inviting me."

Luke came near him for the fist bump. "You're part of the team, Chase. We do things together. We support each other."

"We have reasons to celebrate tonight." Phil was holding a can of beer already. "You're our newest team captain and our little sunshine, Myah, is officially on the bandwagon as our assistant coach."

"Cheers to both of you!" Zareena clipped in as she put a can of beer on my right hand. She rose her glass for a toast to everyone.

"Cheers!" Everybody chorused as glasses clinked.

Chase took a deep breath before taking a brief swig from his beer. " Thanks for the warm welcome. As your new team captain, I'm not gonna promise anything. I'm the type of person who works for my goal or for the team's target. I've heard about how Roswell handles the team." His stare landed on me as a sign of respect. "I might fall short of your expectations as his replacement. But I am dedicated to giving my best in every game we will be playing together."

The boys looked all pumped and smiling like hyenas. I can't be helped but be delighted as well. 

" I can't wait for Inter High to start."

" Hell, yeah!" Jessie shouted to affirm their excitement as the rest laughed with him.

The basement was bathed with dim lights. The moment you enter it, you'll see a huge flatscreen attached to the wall for viewing movies, Xbox games and of course, boys video games. There was a long couch in front of it and large size bean bags at the side.

On the left side, it's a shelf for Paul's awards and trophy both academic and athletic field. His golden three MVP trophies are in the middle. I found Chase engrossed on the display. Opposite the shelf, on the other wall are Paul's laminated championship jerseys. The red colors trimmed with white embossed with New Harold's  Sentinels. Number seven shines on it as my brother's sentimental digit.

The music transitioned from Zedd to Martin Garrix. My eyes kept on reverting back to Chase who was now sitting with the boys over a game of cards. He laughed openly and enjoyed his fellow members.

"How are you holding up?" Luke's serious tone brought me back from my wander.

"Lukey boy, I'm fine." I looked up at him with honesty. " A little bit lonely since Paul is no longer around. I missed his presence. No matter how I sulk and cry, it won't bring my brother back."

"I know. I feel you. I miss my best friend too." Luke pulled me into his arms for a hug. "Just remember that the boys are here for you. We'll take care of you. You're everybody's little sister, sunshine."

Savoring the moment of genuine warmth and love, I don't want to cry right now. Sunshine was my brother's endearment for me and the boys had adapted it because I was around them most of the time. We stayed that way for a minute or so.

"Oh, by the way, I'm sorry about not dropping you off earlier today." I looked up at him and slightly punch his chest.

"Jessie handed the task to Chase. He was the one who took me home and got introduced to my father." That confession garnered a good laugh from him. "Really?That Jessie is such douche."

" He has a valid reason though. Chase said Jessie has to do some errands for his mother." I raked my uncombed hair with fingers.

"And how are you and Chase? I can feel the tension between the two of you."

Picking up the beer from the table, I drunk from it. " Managing. He's such an arrogant bastard. I don't know. There's something in him that endears and unsettles me."

" Mind if I butt in? " I flinched at the sound of Chase's voice from my back. "Is everything okay here?"

Luke laughed one more time. " We're good, Chase. Actually, Myah told me it was you who brought her home. I thank you so much for covering up for me and Jessie."

" It was nothing. Though I had difficulty convincing her at first to ride with me." Chase eyes never left mine.

"She can be pretty stubborn sometimes but she'll cave in. You just need to push the correct buttons. " Luke winked at me. " I leave both of you. I just need to check with Zareena."

"You failed to mention too that you carried me caveman style and pushed me into your car." My tone was seething with sarcasm after Luke went to search for his girlfriend.

"I'm sorry I have to do that to you. You were being difficult and I don't know what to do with you. I can't just let you walk home, take the bus or a cab alone." His bottle landed on the table beside mine.

"What's done is done, Chase." It was suddenly suffocating when he took a step nearer to me. "But truly I'm grateful that you brought me home safely." I didn't like the proximity so I stepped back but I was at the end of the line due to the table stationed at my back.

"What did I do to gain such reactions from you? I don't mean you any harm. You have this tendency to run away the moment I closing in on you." He has this ability to intend the words only for you though he just said it so naturally.  It was like a whisper to the soul.

I don't want to justify his observations with an answer. Abruptly walking away from him without a backward glance and joining the group on the couch.