Chapter 40 Names Names Names

Breath in. Breath out. My head was chanting to myself. I told the brothers I didn't like remembering such memories. Bad memories. But I decided to man up and tell them.

GFord was on the couch all serious and eager to hear me. His brows furrowed when I felt a quick kiss landed on my temple from the guy sitting by my side. I squeezed Chase hand in mine.

"I just got out of the commissioner's office with the news about the team being endorsed for a state invitational. Two guys pulled me by the arm and brought me near the supply area of the gymnasium." I narrated devoid of emotion and has this faraway look in the eyes.

"Do you remember what they were wearing? Or how they looked like?" Chase asked smoothly.

I nodded. "Yes. Both men were wearing hoodies. Black and gray paired with faded pants. I can barely make out the logo on their hoodies but I'm quite sure I've seen it before." I slowly touched my temple, trying to do a circling pattern with my fingers.

"Are you okay?" Chase asked in a whisper.

"I am." I squeaked.

"Go on, Myah," demanded GFord.

"The guy who held me has his hair in a mohawk. A lot of nose and ear piercing. While the other one, he was pretty neat. Crew cut hair. Just a scar below his left eye." I gripped Chase's hand one more time.

"What did they ask you?" Chase's brother countered.

"They wanted me to drop every game of the invitational in exchange for a monetary equivalent." I almost flinched unconsciously as the memory flashes back in my mind. "I told them no. I declined the offer. The guy punched me in the gut upon hearing my answer."

Both brothers took a rough intake of breath upon hearing the punch part.

"Bullshit!I'm gonna kill those guys for laying a hand on you," Chase interjected and GFord's hands fisted.

"My vision started to be blurry. I panicked. I could feel another set of punches before I gave into unconsciousness." I sighed and sat erect away from Chase's side. "That's all I can remember."

GFord stood up and came nearer the bed. "Can you put a name to your attackers?"

I close my eyes, trying hard to play the conversation in my head. "Names?" My mind drifted to the said conversation and trying to recall it.

"She's not looking good, Nimrod." 

"I'm not blind, Jorge!" 

"Shut the fuck up! Say one more word and I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on you."

"Yes, I remember them now! Nimrod and Jorge!" I exclaimed with sudden excitement.

"Very good, Myah!" GFord beamed in an eager smile with all the information I've relayed to them.

I gave myself a tap on the back for remembering all those stuff. Amidst the horror and unpleasant experience, I was able to put a strong strand for oneself and relying on my abilities.

"Now that you have heard my part, your turn to tell me what you both think." My stance was not enough to dominate the brothers. Both snickered as if there was an ongoing silent communication between the two of them.

"Myah, my brother Chase came to your rescue and also noticed the logo you mentioned." GFord pulled a crumpled paper from his leather jacket and handed it to me.

I looked at the sketch and recognized it immediately. "This is it, GFord. One and the same thing."

"Do you know what that logo stands for?" GFord inquired. He was having his moment being the smart ass in this case.

I shook my head and eyes moving from the older brother to Chase. "Care to enlighten me?"

"That's the insignia of the Brunswick Syndicate." Chase said out loud dropping the suspense.

My jaw dropped upon hearing the name. I heard that notorious group made it to the news headline. "Oh my God. What have I done to involve myself with this syndicate?"

"You've done nothing. They came to you. That's where the problem comes in." He started pacing back and forth in the room. "With them in the picture, it will only mean trouble to anyone they will be working or negotiating shady businesses with.

"GFord and I thought about it last night that they could be involved in game fixing or just major betting schemes with local sports just like high school basketball." Chase walked away from me to the glass window of the room. His gaze and thoughts penetrated beyond what he was looking at.

"It means that those guys will make another attempt to be in contact with me," I stated in a hushed tone. "To accomplish what they wanted to do in the first place."

"Exactly," Chase confirmed right away.

GFord came near and touched my knuckles. " I'll see what I can do about this situation. I can't take away the fact that Chase is already included in this problem. We maybe not on good terms but I can't allow anything bad happen to my brother. And even you. I'll work with the information you relayed and update you, guys."

I gave him a timid smile, caught in the sincerity of his eyes and the emotions swirling in it. I can only nod. The realization hit me too late. My life is in constant danger moving forward. Even the people close to me could be affected by the repercussion of the events.

This is not good.