Chapter 5 Lost Your Tongue

Friday is never a boring day for most people. Lots of invites to party and be somewhere else to be. As for me, I just got out of P.E class together with Zareena. We have free period afterward. My mind has been wandering a lot. I haven't even touched the folder that Coach Stibbs had told me to study for tomorrow's practice.

"Earth to Myah," Zareena laughed as she skipped on her way near me.

"I'm sorry I spaced out." Embarrassed, I gave her meek smile.

"What were you thinking about?" She inquired while linking our arms together.

"Just some things that need to be worked on," I said while scanning my phone for messages.

She directed me towards the student's area. "Be specific."

I took in a deep breath. "Practice starts tomorrow and I need some input for the coach with Chase previous performance."

"Why are you worried? You're good at these kinds of stuff. That's why the boys recommended you in the first place." We went to our usual spot which was near a huge tree.

From a distance, I can see Luke and Chase approaching followed by Jessie, Phil, and Randell. The girl population was eyeing them while they made their way toward our location. They all are glimpses of good athletes physically. Luke looked so immaculate in his light blue long sleeves outfit folded up to his elbows paired with pants and sneakers. Zareena looked wistful as she watched her boyfriend. Chase donned on gray hoodies that match his eyes but today it was covered by black RayBan. He exudes confidence in every stride. His hair was in a disarray due to the strong breeze. I can't take my eyes off him and my breath got caught knowing that he saw me checking him out behind those shades. One of the popular girls stopped them on their tracks.

I can hear my best friend stifled a laugh. "Incoming bogey, Myah. Chelsea Atkins is making her move on our new captain."

"I can see that. She's weaving her magic on Chase. Let's see if it will work and determine if our newest guy is a sucker for pretty faces." I giggled as the scene progressed in our view.

"To put it lightly, pretty face you said. Right? You're such a good person, Myah. Chelsea is a total bitch." I can understand the heated comments about Chelsea since she tried to destroy Zareena and Luke's relationship back then.

Luke has this uninterested look on his face while folding his arms at the chest. Jessie has a big smile painted from ear to ear while Chase placed his hands on the pockets of his hoody equally bored from the display of attention from the brunette. I saw Chase shook his head and Chelsea retreated away from the group a little bit dismayed. They continued walking and resumed their halted conversation as if nothing happened.

"What was that about?" Zareena stood up with hands in akimbo. Her brows in arch and question directed to Luke the moment they arrived at the bench.

"Hey, baby, don't go berserk on me." His eyes all trained to his girlfriend. "Chelsea invited Chase to the party she'll be hosting tonight at her residence. I didn't breath a word to her at all. "

"You're totally whipped, Luke!" Chase smirked as he hid a smile.

"It's no time for unnecessary side comments, Chase. I need some help here, guys!" He rubbed the back of his head slightly frustrated.

"Zareena, let it go," I told her but my eyes were on my phone scanning my Facebook account not daring to look at anyone especially at Chase besides me.

"If you say so." I heard my best friend uttered.

"Come here, honey. I'm sorry for being a bitch." Luke's chuckle was audible as the rest of the guys sighed.

The next thing I saw was Luke and Zareena sharing a quick kiss. I beamed. My heart melted at the same time constricted with the thought of myself in a relationship. I looked around and Phil was fist bumping with Randell. Jessie pouted his lips acting like he was kissing someone.

My eyes met Chase serious gaze. I had this tingling sensation at the back of my nape and hands beginning to sweat. Being around this guy unsettles me. I don't know how he does it but he has the aura of intimidation. He was as tall as my brother but his muscles were more toned.

"Like what you see?" Chase broke the eye contact. He said enough for both of us to hear.

I said nothing. I hate his guts. He oozes too much confidence.

"Say something." There he goes again with the half-whispered words.

If he's arrogant then I'll stay stubborn, I told myself.

"Lost your tongue, Myah?" He has this determined look to goad a response from me.

"I'm not in the mood for your nonsense," I emphasized. "You might wanna look for someone else to annoy."

"Feisty. I like it." He replied sarcastically.

I think Phil's attention has been on us for last three minutes. His face has this funny look I've never seen before.

"Are you both okay?" Phil inquired. "What's with your hushed talk? Is there something we need to know about?"

Angrily, I shook my head. "Nothing fancy, Philly! Don't mind us."