Chapter 18 A Win and A Warning

In the next quarter that followed, it became a shootout game between the two teams. Nobody was giving up. Dunhill High took the lead on the third segment. I was annoyed seeing GFord smirking everytime he shoots those three points over Luke and the other members of the Sentinels. Looking upon the digital timer, I gritted my teeth seeing the score stuck at 75-73 in favor of the Centaurs. The momentum was with the opposite team while pressure is sipping through my team to beat them. The referee called a loss ball foul on Luke near the shaded lane. Dunhill's shooting guard Dean Arthur missed his two free throw shots that made me blew a deep breath of relief.

Jessie called a timeout after the inbound play from the backcourt. The boys assembled hurriedly before time expires.

"What will it be?" Phil asked breathing in and out loudly.

Chase raised his left hand for a suggestion and I nodded for him to go on. " I want the ball. Luke, you allow GFord to come to me."

"But.." Luke protested.

"It's okay. If he says so then let it be." I stopped him before Luke starts with his tirade. This was a proof of a team captain's decision making when it comes to team play.

"Just be there for the rebound." I tapped my brother best friend's shoulder. "That's your specialty."

"Consider it delivered!" Luke replied with renewed vigor.

It was less than a minute on the clock after the brief timeout. I watched them do small talk between each other as they get ready for the play. I do not see any fear or hesitation in their eyes. The determination to take away the win was very much their goal as of the moment.

"You can do it, guys!" I cheered while clapping my hands.

GFord came to screen my vision with his mischievous smile. "I'll make them cry." He teased

"You can always try." I spat at him as he joined the team on the last stretch of the game.

If I read Chase's mind correctly, he was aiming for a three-point shot. And Dunhill took the bait as Chase has instructed after players switches and GFord was face to face with his brother. The supporters' noise grew louder upon seeing the matchup. It looks like the older one was quick to Chase attempts to escape his defense but was never fast for his fadeaway jumper. Chase scores! Together with the buzzer, the crowd goes wild! I could not contain the happiness with the win. My relief was instantaneous knowing it was a good game and it was my first stint as coach add the bet that goes with it.

I must have been grounded to where I was standing. Shocked. Overwhelmed. I felt the tap and congratulations of the other team's coach. It brought me back to the present state. Luke pulled me towards the team celebrating with Jessie's happy dance. I laughed a good one. I never felt this elated and free before.

A heavy arm landed on my shoulders. I turned up and met Chase proud eyes. " You owe me." He whispered just enough for me to hear.

"Owe you what? " My eyes furrowed in intrigue at his actuation.

"For saving you from the grip of my brother's manipulation." His left arm glided down to my waist. I tried pulling away but he anticipated my move and held my waist pulling me closer to his sweaty feature.

"Let go of me. You're sweaty!" I pushed him away from me trying to veer away from his intention.

"Whatever, Myah. You still owe me." His throaty laugh erupted while moving away leaving me breathless.

The boys' attention turned to me as they all huddled to hug me still dripping in sweats. I screamed upon knowing their prank. "For Christ's sake, guys! Get the heck away from me, you bunch of scoundrels!"

As we made my way to the dugout to retrieve our things, I saw GFord standing by the door with his backpack slung over his side. Automatically, I felt Chase presence at my back. His hand pressed at my back as an assurance. The rest of the team did not bother to stop in their tracks.

"What brings you here?" I was about to ask him the same question but Chase beat me to it. GFord's impish smile emerged. "Don't act so high and mighty, little brother. I'm not here for you. I wanted to speak with Myah."

"And why? Did I caught your fancy?" I was trying to annoy him. Honestly, his presence does not dwell much on my good side.

Are you always a spitfire? No wonder Chase here is so drawn to you. I want to speak to you only."

I felt Chase advances but stopped him by blocking his way with my arm. "Say what you want to say. Your brother stays."

"Spill your guts, Glenn! " Chase impatient tone was getting to me.

"I just want to warn you to be careful. Some people don't like you that much." He was so serious with eyes void of emotion before walking away with a backward glance.