Chapter 35 One Request

It was almost ten o'clock in the evening but the rest of the basketball team kept coming and crowding the hospital's waiting area. Zareena cried in Luke's arms when she arrived with an untamed look. Jessie kept on pacing back and forth and Randell stopped him in his tracks.

The twins squatted on the carpeted portion of the lobby with murmured talks and bowed heads. Seth, Allen, and Phil were talking in a hushed tone while Dave, Jameson, and Kian were slouched on the couch staring at the white ceiling.

I've been looking out the glass window for quite some time. Myah's parents arrived in twenty minutes after she was sent directly to the emergency room. They were ushered to a different room by one of the resident doctors and has not emerged from it for an hour already. The medical officer who accompanied me in the ambulance assured me that she is going to be all right.

I don't know what I should feel right now but one thing is for sure and that is, Myah holds a huge spot here in my heart. Knowing her in such a terrible situation is tearing me apart. The frustration is eating me alive inside. I want to do something for her. Help her. Ease whatever pain she is going through right now.

The last time I was like this was when I lost the people I dearly loved. I don't want to go through the memory of it. It's buried deep inside of me. There is no need for it to resurface. I don't need to draw out those emotions and make me a cold person again. I'm a new person since moving here to the new school. Surviving those years of loneliness and pain were surely a tough act for both GFord and I. I'm trying to pull myself from the pit of hatred and anguish I've created for myself. My older brother was another story and I think he's much harder to crack.

I heard movements from my back and turned to see Myah's parents approaching our area. Mr. Roswell pulled his wife to the side and whispered something in her ears that made her nod earnestly.

Luke was the first one to meet them in a quick hug. The rest of the guys including Zareena's attention were all inclined to Myah's parents in a small huddle. I stayed at the back not wanting to hear anything but extremely needing to see Myah right now.

"How's Myah, Aunt Adena?" Zareena was the first one to break her silence in a croaked voice, addressing her inquiry to Myah's mother.

"Reena, you need not worry. She's fine." Mrs. Roswell tried to smile to the group.

"What did the doctor say?" Phil had his arms folded by the chest.

"She was attacked for sure and had panicked that is why she lost consciousness." Mr. Roswell looked tired yet his fatherly tone put the rest of the team at ease.

"It's certainly a long night for everyone. I think we all need our much deserved rest." Randell gestured to everybody, hearing groans and sighs from the team.

"When can we see her?" Xanthy blurted out and gained a nudge on the stomach from his twin.

"You can all start seeing Myah by tomorrow. Drop by after school, guys." Aunt Adena uttered with revived energy.

I moved back to where I was leaning before and took one look at the dark scenario outside of the hospital. They said their good nights to the couple.

"Where's Chase?" I heard Mr. Roswell asked.

"I'm here, Sir," I replied and met his serious gaze.

"Let's go to the parking lot. I need to talk to you and Luke." I nodded and followed his step silently. Luke was walking ahead of us with Zareena in tow.

The guys had piled unto their respective cars in awkward silence. It was quite weird actually seeing them act this way. Usually, scenarios were quite a sight of pushing and constant bantering.

"You might wonder why I had to talk to both of you." Mr. Roswell took a deep breath. " I don't like what is happening. My hunch is telling me that my daughter is in danger."

"Danger from what, Uncle George?" Luke's eyes were of attention and interest.

"The same people that took away Paul's life." I watched Mr. Roswell clinched his fist.

"Mr. Roswell, I hope you don't mind me asking." It was my turn to exhale a shaky breath as Myah's father nodded. "Was Paul's killer apprehended?"

"Never. Paul's case was unsolved." His controlled voice was littered with sorrow.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Sir." I managed to speak.

"It's okay, Chase. And please do call me Uncle George the same way the other players address me." He tapped my left shoulder and my face lit up with a sincere smile.

"Thanks." I stammered. "Thanks, Uncle George."

"Good." He chuckled as well as Luke. "And I have one more request from you, guys."

"What would that be?" I countered.

"Once Myah is allowed to go back to school, make sure not to leave her alone. She should have someone to accompany her all the time." Uncle George was pleading for cooperation. Luke and I nodded without question. "I've already communicated it to the police officer who was working on this incident. They did receive the statement you provided during the rescue, Chase."

Luke scratched his head in obvious frustration. He has lots of questions but did not bother to ask it. On the other hand, I kept on nodding. Ideas forming in my head.

I'll get to the bottom of this.