Chapter 43 Against the Giants

The next night was our sixth game for InterHigh against the Misty High Giants, one of the top defensive teams in our bracket. A very physical and low scoring game. True to their name as Giants, the players are tall if not huge. It's as if they have eaten growth pill to hasten their physical features. The team was having difficulty executing their plays and always getting into foul trouble. Add to it their misses on the field goals and even on second-chance points. The first two quarters were the worst performance of the Sentinels.

I can only feel the frustrations of the players when the third quarter commenced. On the other hand, uneasiness kept on creeping at the back of my head. The feeling of being watched or it could be me being paranoid. Being uncertain if I'm really safe or not and all the what if's distracting me from focusing on the game at hand.

Mr. Eddie sat next to me as I kept on rubbing my temples to keep a headache at bay. He made it clear that he will not intervene with my coaching which I am glad. I want a full rein on the team since I'm the coach but I welcome suggestions as well.

"Myah, looked at the scoreboard. The Giants are pulling away with a 12-0 run." Mr. Eddie tapped my right shoulder that made me groan the frustration boiling in me. "Get your head in the game."

I stood up from the bench on the next inbound play with Jessie on the backcourt end line passing it to Chase. I signaled for a timeout to the nearest referee. The whistle was blown for a 30-second timeout as the boys approached where I was standing with somber faces.

"What the heck are you doing, guys?" I almost screamed at them but stopped myself knowing I shouldn't add more pressure to them.

"I always get doubled team on the low post. I can't get someone to help me with the rebounds." Luke said breathing in and out with both hands on the knees.

"I've been hit with elbows all around and never had any fouls called on them," Phil complained massaging his ribcage.

I watched every downcasted eye of the players and I can only understand the degree of difficulty they are experiencing right now. "The Giants are big guys and defense is their number one priority. Double team is their key. Don't forget that there is always one man free once such strat is executed. Be keen-eyed of whoever is free and give the ball."

"Understood, Coach," Jessie affirmed since it is his task for the ball circulation.

"Xander and Xanthy, substitute Phil and Randell. I want a tighter offense and defense. Give them their own dose of medicine." Looking at the twins grinning like hyenas.

"As you wish," They both echoed each other's thoughts.

"We need to stop their momentum, guys. We need to score." Chase uttered amidst the surrounding noise.

"Sentinels on three," Luke called it in. 

"Sentinels!" The team roared with renewed strength and dispersed back to the court.

Shot clock with nineteen seconds to bring the ball to the frontcourt. Inbound pass from Jessie back to Chase once more. Again two Giants were in front of him right away. The twins provided Chase a screen as he backed away from the two defenders. He dribbled, moved to his left spotting an incoming player approaching to stop him and eyeing Luke below the goal roughing it out with the Giants center. Jessie raising his hands for the ball since nobody was guarding him and was free on the corner.

With fast eye coordination, Chase passed it to Luke who attempted to force it below before dishing it out to Jessie for a buzzer beater three. And it went in. Giants lead down to nine points. I show Jessie's face lit up with elation together and the rest of the boys.

"Great shot, Jessie!" I can't help but cheer them too. Clapping my hands until they hurt. I can't even sit down but pace back and forth.

As the ball transition from the Sentinels to the Giants, Luke managed to tap it away from the point guard before reaching halfcourt. Chase scrambled after the loose ball and got hold of it. Without hesitation, he pulled a long three and scored right away. The digital scoreboard displayed 61-55 still in favor of the Giants. The opposing coach called for another timeout.

"Well done, guys!" I shouted. The boys making their way back to our bench chest bumping, fists clashing and eyes smoldering with their small comeback.

"This time we have to hold our ground against their intense offense." Xanthy raking his hair in a total mess.

"We can let them pass our defense. We need to force a turnover." Xander continued.

"The twins are right." Chase's sweaty shoulders brushed mine as I listened to them huddle. He gave me a quick smile that melted my insides. "Defense on us and a quick transition but let us not forget to use our time."

The players roared on their cheers even the bench ones joined in. I didn't escape the quick tap at the back of the head from them. If they only knew how forceful their taps were, it would unscrew loosen screws in my brain. The Sentinels were all assembled in the backcourt ready for the Giants' onslaught. The twins took on the task of guarding the notorious forwards of the other team. Obvious throws of elbows and pushes here and there. Referees have been ignoring it the entire duration of the game.

A three-second violation was called on the Giant's center as he kept on dribbling passed Luke's defense but failed. I commend the boys for the strong will displayed. Sentinels' turn on the offense. Luke took the low post position. Marino twins switching places in front of Chase and Jessie orchestrating the ball movement.

Again, Chase and Jessie partnering outside the rainbow arc on swift touch passing. Jessie almost lost the ball but Chase was nimble enough to catch it in time. He shuffled the ball right to left backing away for a fadeaway shot as a huge hand reached in at the same time. He was on the three-point line as the ball sunk into the hoop followed by a whistle.

"Foul on Giants number 35." The court announcer proclaimed. "Sentinels number 7 on the line for three free throws."

I couldn't believe what I've heard. Once Chase sinks in all of the free throws, the ball game is going to be tied at 61 points. Chase delivered without qualms and nerves on the free throw line.

From there, the team pulled away until fourth quarter ending the game with the score of 89-79. My heart still beating so hard from the ballgame that I witnessed. The boys all looked drained out and squeezed of energy but their eyes blazing with the victory. In high spirits, the team moved out of the hardcourt back to the dugout to change into casual clothes. Mr. Eddie had an animated conversation with the players as they hit the showers while I wait in the locker room. 

I decided to walk out from there without saying a word to them. I proceeded to Chase's car in the parking lot since I rode with him earlier and he handed it to me for safekeeping before the game. Almost thirty minutes have passed and the Giant's gymnasium was already devoid of spectators. There were few cars left mostly from the players. The late realization hit me that I'm all alone now. I walked hurriedly to the farthest corner where Chase's car was parked. It was a dark and the street lamp was five cars away. It kept on blinking, giving me the chill and the goosebumps all over my body. Out of nowhere, I heard nasty laughter and hoots.

Five men emerged from the distant darkness. And I gasped looking at the two familiar figures. Nimrod and Jorge.

"Fancy meeting you here, Myah." Jorge's Spanish accent so audible together with a chuckle. 

"Stay away from me, you prick!" I exclaimed while stepping back many times and my back felt the car's coldness.

Nimrod's left hand reached for something at his back. He waved the same gun from before as it glinted in the dark. "We'll stay away, Myah. Just agree with what we offer."

"Never!" My lips quivered. The evening's coldness is getting through my thin shirt. Suddenly, two of Nimrod's thugs came from a different direction and got hold of me. Their grip as tight as manacle on my arms as I keep on pulling away from them but my effort all wasted.

Not again.