Chapter 6 Same Question

The rest of the day went by quickly. Literature class with Mrs. Sanders was the usual dynamic conversation. Odyssey was such a long treacherous voyage for the main character. Then came Physics, Mrs. Rodriguez had a pop quiz. I was struggling yet the good thing about it was that base formula for trajectory path was just easy to memorize.

I was done stacking my stuff in my locker when my phone rang. Zareena's name appeared on the screen.  "Hi there, bestie."

"Myah, Luke and I are going on a date. We can't take you home today. But one of the boys will fetch you." She fired up before I can say anything.

"It's okay. I can take the bus or a cab home." I told her walking on my way to the school iron gate.

"No way, girly. You stay put and wait for your designated driver. I'm sorry I failed to inform you earlier." Zareena and I are both of the same age but there are times that she just talks so mature.

"I will, Mother," I affirmed. I heard her giggle on the other end. "Have fun." I dropped off from the line before she rants about safety issues.

All of a sudden, a car beeped at my back. Turning around, my eyes almost went out of its sockets. I'm looking at the latest Audi 2015 R8 black car. Totally slick for my eyes. The car glided slowly, stopped in front of me and the driver's window slid down.

Chase smirking face appeared. My jaw dropped figuratively. This guy was driving a Tundra yesterday and now, an Audi R8. Arrogant, rich bastard.

"Like what you see?" That's the second time he asked me the same question today.
"I like the car but I can't deal with the driver." I turned my back on him.

"Myah! Come back here!" I can hear the car door being slammed. A huge hand grabbed my arm from the back. " Don't give me a hard time coz I honestly don't have the patience."

I face him. Inwardly laughing seeing him lose his cool facade. He was annoyed. He was mad at me. "Why are you following me?"

"Jessie was supposed to take you home. He received a call from his mother for some errands. He pleaded that I take you home since your ride deserted you for their date." Chase was surely pissed off. He has this habit of pinching the bridge of his nose. Just like Coach Stibbs.

"That guy dared to leave me in the company of a stranger," I said out loud. Just to rile him up more. "This is freaking unbelievable. Of all people, it has to be you."

"Get in the car, Myah. I'll take you home. I have no time for your life drama." Chase's voice was full of control. He really wasn't patient at all.

"Thanks, Chase. I can take a bus or a cab on my own." I slung my backpack and jogged away from him.

"That's the last time you're walking away from me, Myah." He was abruptly at my back. It happened so fast. I found myself being carried back to where his car was. I just yelped in surprise. He has his right arm around my waist. I stiffened so it looked like he was carrying a log under his arm.

He opened the door of the passenger side with his left hand. He puts me down, stripped me of my backpack, and pushed me inside the car. Chase was fuming I can see it in his eyes the moment he looked into me while buckling the seatbelt. He dumped my backpack on the floor of the backseat.

"I can't imagine how the team puts up with you. Spoiled brat!" Chase maneuvered his way out of the school with ease. He pressed a button on a panel and the GPS guide came up on the screen.

"I can perfectly go home without you." I scooted away from him while watching him multitask. One hand on the steering wheel and the other one navigating the GPS. I saw my address on it. "How did you get my address?"

"Jessie encoded it before he went ahead to do her mother's errand." He was back to pinching the bridge of his nose. "Can we not talk? This is giving me a headache. Just zip your mouth."

Eventually, I did shut up. I just looked out of the window and watched the familiar sceneries. I'm still frustrated with the turn of events today. It's just his second day with us and we are giving each other hell. I wasn't expecting these kinds of reaction. He brings out the brat in me.

The drive wasn't that long. Chase brought the Audi to a stop in front of the house. Our two-story house was not that big, just enough for our family. Before I can get out of the car, I can see my father stood up from his relaxed stance on the front porch.

"Sweet ride, Myah!" My dad said aloud and leaned on the porch's railing.

I gave him my genuine smile. I'm well aware that Chase went out of the car, too. "Hi, Dad!" I waved as my father met me at the threshold. I tiptoed to kiss him by the cheeks.

His attention was not on me but on the owner of the car. "Myah, your backpack." Chase handed it to me by the sling and I accepted it. "Thank you." I mouthed.

"Would you care to introduce the gentleman who brought you home, Myah?" Dad's voice was firm and doesn't want to be declined.

"Chase, I want you to meet my father. Dad, meet Chase Landon. He's with the basketball team, filling in Paul's spot as the new team captain." I said meekly with my introduction. My father's eyes lit up with the news.

"Nice to meet you, Chase. I'm happy to hear that the school has found a new player already. I hope the boys gave you a warm welcome. InterHigh is about to start in a month. That got me worried when Coach Stibbs said they were still checking for candidates." Both men shook firm hands. "You got a good grip, son. Young men like you remind me of my very own Paul."

"Thank you, Mr. Roswell. I heard about Paul in the news. I meet him once during a state basketball camp. Condolence to your family, Sir." Chase was very sincere as I stood there listening to their conversation.

"My boy, this family is trying to get over the horror of Paul's death. It ain't easy especially to this girl but we'll manage. Right, Myah?" I hugged my dad before I looked up at him and nodded.

I was looking on the floor. I don't want to see pity in Chase's eyes.

"Mr. Roswell, Myah, I'd like to stay for a chat but I'm needed somewhere else." Chase initiated another handshake before exiting and back to the confine of his car.

"Such a fine man,"Dad said as we watched his car. If you only knew, Dad.