Chapter 7 An Ace Player

After a sumptuous dinner with my parents, I went up to my room and got started with Chase folder. My backpack landed on the floor with a muted thud. The documents provided profile information from Chase's name down to the last school he attended. Chase Dustan Landon was his full name, it just rolls off sweetly in my tongue as I say the name out loud. His middle name Dustan was the character in the movie "Prince of Persia: Sands of Time". I decided not to pry anymore but the inquisitive part of me urges me to discover details about him.

He had won 2 championship stints, every year he has been named MVP of the league. Interesting. I've been to most of my brother's game but I don't remember the team playing against his school South Bernley High. He did mention knowing Paul. If my memory serves me right, New Harold won the last two seasons of Inter-High under Bracket A East Region. The moment we hit playoffs for the Regional Level, we got our asses kicked by a much more stronger team from the West.

I turned on my laptop and researched the bracket system for the last two years. South Bernley High was from Bracket B so that was why they never met in the hardcourt.

Every year more than eighty high school basketball teams participate in the InterHigh competition. There are four regions they need belong to geographically and has two brackets per region; A and B. Hence there are four regions, a total of eight brackets are formed. In each bracket, this is where the InterHigh competition happens as it follows the single round robin elimination. The victors of each bracket proceed to the Regional. Chase previous ballclub claimed also InterHigh last two consecutive under Bracket B South Region. They got murdered on the court during the Regional by one of the Northerners.

They have the same fate with Paul, stuck in the InterHigh and can't even get a Regional title. The next couple of pages were all numbers. Just the usual stats when it comes to field goals, assists, and rebounds. He has good numbers. An average triple-double scoring machine. Not bad at all. He's reliable during crunch time.

If there are strengths, of course, weaknesses will always be there. Chase was prone to turnovers in the first half of the games. That's kind of peculiar for an ace player.

I jotted down my notes already for tomorrow's practice. Hopefully, I'm not going to have a hard time with the team especially with Chase coming in the picture.

The clock ticks nine o' clock in the evening as I check the digital timepiece on my side table. My phone lit up with a message from Jessie.

Sunshine, what are you up to on a Friday night? was the content of his text message.

Nothing much. Just got done with Chase's file. Why are you asking? My uninterested response.

The gang is here at Chelsea's party except for Luke and Zareena. This party is horrible. I can only imagine the look on Jessie's face right now.

I'm sorry to hear that. I laughed to myself while waiting for another message.

We would like to take the party somewhere else. Randell suggested if we can continue it at your house.

I typed as fast as I can. Excited to have fun with the boys. Sure! I can use some company. My parents are gone for two nights to visit my grandparents.

Great! We'll bring all the food and drinks. Expect us in 20 minutes. I was grinning while reading. I stood up from the bed and opened my closet to look for clothes to change into.

I pulled a black tank top and paired it with skimpy tattered white shorts. See you in a bit. I hit the send button on my phone.

Ten minutes after I showered and changed, I heard cars stopped in front of the house and the doorbell sounded. I went down hurriedly to open the door for the boys.

"Evening, Myah!" The boys chorused with huge smiles on their faces. Jessie, Phil, and Randell were carrying bags of goodies, bottles of soft drinks and canned beers. Luke was at their back, draping his arm on Zareena's.

I squealed upon seeing my best friend. "I thought you weren't with them."

"I have no plans of fraternizing with bitches like Chelsea." Luke rolled his eyes at Zareena's attitude. "Jessie called us after they decided to crash here from the boring party. Luke was still at my house so we decided to come over."

"All right! You know your way in this house, guys. Head down to the basement. Let's have fun tonight." The three boys were in the kitchen preparing the junkies. Paul's room was in the basement. It's a soundproof area so that if the music blasting from the speakers is in full blast, it will not be audible outside especially with my parents.

Making my way down on the steps of the basement, the doorbell rang again. I wonder who it might be. I ran back up, round the corner and opened the door.

"Hey, Myah." My breath constricted at the sight of Chase. He was wearing Stephen Curry's Golden State Warriors jersey, light blue DC cap tilted to the side and black fitted pants paired with white sneakers. I just stared at him not knowing what to say. "I received an invite from Jessie that they'll be coming here. Can I join you, guys?"

"Yeah..sure!" I hate when I stammered for no reason at all. "Do come in. They're in the basement. Close the door after you and I'll lead the way."