Chapter 33 Beating For You

"What's taking Myah so long?"Luke sat on the driver's seat of his car. The car's window was rolled down and his chin resting on it with an impatient look.

Staring at the inbox of my phone, my last text message was sent 45 minutes ago. Waiting for you. Parking lot. There was no reply to it. I dialed Myah's number on my phone and it kept ringing. I tried thrice already but she's not picking up. "She's not answering her phone too," I told Luke who just shook his head and yawned.

I looked at my wristwatch and it is almost seven o'clock in the evening. I just suddenly felt goosebumps all over my body. "Hey, Luke, why don't we look for Myah. I'm getting worried for no reason at all. You searched for her at the back of the gym. I'll try the front."

"No probs, Chase." Luke disembarked from his car as I walked away and half jogged to the front gate.

There were few stray people hovering in the lobby and I could see no signs of Myah. Looking from left to right and the other way around. I retraced my steps to try another route and bumped someone's shoulder along the way.

"I'm sorry." The guy uttered without looking at me. Another guy in a gray hoodie with an insignia of a weird black flame followed the first one. Both heads bowed down and walking away so fast. They came out from the secluded supply area.

My breath hitched and my body automatic reaction was run into the dimly lit alley to the supply area. Fear rose in my heart. The beating was so fast not matching the pace of my feet. The hunch of finding Myah somewhere along the path was so strong. It was killing me inside a thousand folds.

And yes, Myah was lying on the ground so pale and lifeless. I ran to her side, cradled her head in my hand and check for any signs of blood, found none. She was ashen pale. "Myah, wake up!" But there was no response coming from her. Not a twitching of eyelids or no movement of fingers. "Come on, Myah! Snap out of it." I exclaimed. Mad. Frustrated.

Tears were threatening to fall from my eyes but I told myself to suck it up. Not the time to be emotional. I took another breath. I pulled the phone from my pocket to dial 911. On the second ring, an operator answer.

"I need help. My friend I think got attacked. She's unconscious." I rattled off the rest of the details to the officer on the other line and the location. "Please hurry up."

"I'll have a unit dispatch to your location. ETA in 8 minutes." I sighed. I thanked the operator before dropping the call.

I sat on the ground and cradled Myah's body to mine, trying to warm her up before help could come. My phone rang and pressed a button to answer Luke's call.

"I can't find Myah." Luke's voice was laced with worry.

"I found her. She's unconscious." I told him in a firm tone.

"What? Where are you?" Luke's loud intake of breath was audible on the call.

"We're here in the supply area. I've called 911 and they're on their way." I added before wiping Myah's tear slowly falling on the side of her face.

"I'll be there. I'll call her parents." The call ended abruptly.

The next couple of minutes Luke was kneeling on the other side with a concerned look on his face. He touched Myah's face tenderly. "Sunshine, who did this to you?" He spoke in a controlled voice.

The emergency team arrived after Luke. The entire place was buzzing with adrenaline. I was reluctant to give up Myah to the medical officer who placed her on a stretcher. They checked for her vital signs and saw relief on the officer's face.

"She'll be fine." The officer tapped both Luke and my shoulders before pushing her into the ambulance.

Jessie's figure appeared at our back. "I came as soon as I received the message from Luke. What happened here?"

"We'll talk later." Luke calmly said and Jessie just nodded.

I handed the car key to Jessie for him to drive it to the hospital. I got into the ambulance before the officer closed it out.

Myah looked in pain and still pale. The officer attached some tubes to her wrist and another equipment to monitor heartbeats. I got hold of her left hand, held it mine and pressed it to my own beating heart.

Hear my heart beating for you, Myah.