Chapter 12 Own Personal Distraction

Literature class was in full swing when Mrs. Sanders stopped and all eyes were on the person at the door. My eyes suddenly darted to the familiar stance of Chase who calmly handed a note to the teacher.

"Myah, you're excused from the class." Mrs. Sander smiled at Chase while the rest of the class' eyes were on me. I grabbed my backpack and slung it over my shoulder. I nodded to my teacher before totally getting out of the room.

"What's the meaning of this?" I half exclaimed at Chase's back following the direction he was going. Outside of the school premise.

His car was parked a little distance from the school gate. "I'm bored. Can we skive the next succeeding classes?" He stopped in his track and turned to face me. I bumped into his frame since my eyes were on the ground. His reflexes saved me from my fall face first. He gripped my arms tightly and steadied me on my feet.

"You want us to ditch class?"I queried with irregular breathing as I assured myself to calm down with all these jumbled emotions."Where did you get that excuse note?" My anger slowly rising as I glared at the person in front of me.

"I asked you if we're ditching. It's not the end of the world, Myah." He continued walking to his car."You don't have to worry about the note. I have my ways."

"Ways that might end us up in detention."I squeaked after entering the car on the passenger side.

"Detention? That's not gonna happen." He said confidently while firing the car to life.

"So full of yourself. Where are we going?"I tossed my backpack on top of Chase on the backseat.

He laughed. "Someone's interested."

"I'm not," I replied abruptly.

"You wouldn't ask if you're not interested. " He said with eyes not leaving the road.

"Whatever," I muttered under my breath.

"I heard you." He was smiling like a child.

"You're bored. You ditched classes and tagged me along. Why me? You could have joined forces with Jessie or the other guys from the team. There should be a reason." I thought to myself aloud and leaned back still trying to put off the anger that is brewing inside of me. He has this ability to put off my fire at the same time stoke it.

"I do things as I like. I don't need reasons to back it up. But I think I do have a reason for this whim today."The view changes to tall pine trees lined up at the side of the road.

"And what would that be? Mind telling me where we are going before I blow up in anger and anticipation." I had the courage to meet his gray eyes.

Chase smirked. "I need a distraction before the big game. The pressure is driving me nuts." His tone was serious and restrained.

"And why me?" Sitting up and turning to face him in the driver seat.

"You're my distraction." He has mischief glinting in his eyes.

"I'm what?"The car suddenly lurched to a stop in front of an old cabin-like structure.

"My own personal distraction," Chase leaned back on the upholstered seat no effort of exiting the car. "I don't know why. I'm amused by your reactions. I don't mean to annoy you every time I talk to you. The more you want to be out of my reach, the more I want to be near you. I'm just resisting the urge from following you on your walkout scenes."

A little bit shock with his calm outburst made me cover my mouth with both hands. "What do you mean?"

"I don't even understand it, Myah. But for now, you drive my insanity at bay." Chase directed his gaze back to me this time with a lopsided grin. "Don't ask questions. Let it stay that way."

Managing to calm my self from letting my anger surfaced, I just nodded unaware of the proper thing to do or say. He was being honest. I'm scared but I had to fight it. It seems like I'm his lifeline and is depending on me. "What is this place?"

"Let's get out of the car and I'll show you around."Chase reverted back to his all demeanor. Distant and cold but his eyes are more of softer shades. "This used to be my mother's rest house. It was converted into a recreational place for our family. The exterior looks old but wait till you see the insides."

Chase extended his right hand for me to take. He can see my hesitation in my eyes. I don't trust him that much yet. Out of nowhere, I took hold of his hand in mine and guided us towards the two-story cabin.

His hand felt warm and sweaty in mine. I felt him squeezed it as we stood in front of the door. He fumbled with the key on the left since the right hand never left mine.

The place looks amazing and well heated. My eyes roamed around the entire level from the furniture and fixtures that adorned it spilled luxury. "Amazing interior," I said in between breaths.

" You like it?"Chase asked and I nodded so quickly. "Good. Wait till you see the back part."

He let go of my hand as my eyes landed on the tinted glass door. He was at my back. Both his hands on my hips and slowly pushed me towards the door. He slid it to the side and was met by the cold breeze that tingled my exposed skin.

"Amazing." My eyes took in a wonderful sight. The house was overlooking a placid lake on its right. "It's peaceful out here." The back porch was a scene of green vegetation and trees on the left side.

"Do you want to go down to the lake?" He was near me. I can feel the warmth of his breath on my cheek. Silently, I nodded to him. He got hold of my hand again and guided me. It looks steep but the manmade footpath made it easy to descend.

I feel like I'm also falling for the unknown.