12

I sat at my desk, crying my eyes out, not sure what to do. How could I be getting kicked out of my apartment? Who randomly raises the rent? I don't have that much money to pay for that tiny apartment. I just started my job and I haven't gotten much for it yet. I miss two payments, and this happens. I continue to sob my eyes out and hide my face. Just as I'm doing that, there's a slight knock on my office door. I quickly wipe my eyes and take a few deep breaths.

"Come in." I shout. In came my receptionist. I look at her and raise my eyebrows, waiting for her to tell me what she needs. "Are you going to talk or just stand there?" I snap.

"Oh, um.. There's someone here to see you. Marcellus? I'm sorry, miss Bale. He is just eager to see you." She panics.

"Marcel?" I rest my chin on my fist and look at her. She nods her head and I nod, signaling for her to let him in. He enters with a frappe in his hand and McDonald's. I wipe my eyes, trying to prevent the tears that are forming from falling. I sniffle and smile at him.

"Hey." I smile. He set the food and frappe down on my desk before pulling up a patient chair and sitting down.

"Hey, I thought I'd bring you lunch. Plus you've been ignoring me all day." He chuckles but soon looks at me with a serious expression. "Ri, what's wrong? Are you ok?" He stands up and walks around my desk. I instantly stand up and cry into his chest.

"Why is it always me? What did I do to ever deserve this? Why am I always the one to get hurt in some sort of way?" I cry and he pushes me back a little to look at me. "I have no where to go! I'm going to be living on the streets. This is terrible and there's nothing I can do about it!"

"What are you talking about?" He pulls the chair around to sit with me. I take a sip of my frappe and hand it to him so he can get a drink.

"Thank you for bringing me lunch. That was really sweet of you considering how poor I am." I cry hysterically, completely dodging his question and I lay my head down on my desk. He clears his throat and runs his large hand up and down my arm, whispering to me.

"Hey.. Tell me what happened and I'll try everything I can to fix it and make it all better."

I lift my head to look at him and he's already so close to my face. We both lean our arms on the desk and rest our heads on our hands, looking at each other. "I'm pretty much being evicted from my apartment because they've raised the rent and that past two payments I've only paid what I was supposed to pay before the raise in rent. So of course, I'm kicked out. First my mom kicks me out, then you kick me out, and now the manager of those apartments are kicking me out. Karma really is a bitch, but I can't remember what I did to deserve bad karma. It can't be me throwing my frappe at your head because my karma was losing the only thing I truly loved." I whisper, staring into his forest green eyes as tears filled mine.

"Come live with me. I own a two bedroom house and the only thing the other room is being used for is dust. Come live with me. You can pay rent, which won't be a lot." He says softly while running his hand up and down my back.

"That's very generous of you, Marcel. But I don't know if I can. What if we get into an argument and you tell me to leave? It'll be just like last time except this time we won't be dating." I sniffle before taking a drink of my frappe. He stares at me for a good minute before speaking up again.

"I swear to you, I won't kick you out. You can even bring Evie. Come on, Riley. You'll have your own big bedroom, I'll leave you alone because of studying, you'll be at work and while you're at work, I'll walk Evie. I can't let you not do this." He explains but I'm still so hesitant. "Riley.. I won't kick you out. Lets say you didn't pay rent, I still wouldn't kick you out. You know, we'd talk about it, but I won't kick you out. Three years ago I was an idiot and it was out of anger. I've matured since then." He assures me. I let out a sigh and glance at him, unsure.