3

I sniffle and wipe my eyes after the couple had just left. I had to inform them that they had lost their baby, and it is the worst thing ever. I couldn't stand that about this job; breaking bad news to innocent people. It wasn't just them losing their baby's, it was also telling patients if they have breast cancer, or some type of cancer in their stomach area. I haven't quite gotten the hang of giving bad news. I always end up crying after the patient has left.

So, today is the day Marcel and that girl Shay come to my apartment. I was hoping that yesterday would have been the last time I'd see him. But of course, it wasn't.

Thankfully, the rest of my day at work consisted of delivering good news to patients. I was honestly dreading going home and cleaning. I was also dreading the fact that Marcel was coming over. Who would have thought Marcel would be coming to my house after everything that has happened? Although it is sweet that he is willing to take time out of his day just to prove to me that Shay is his sister. He must really want me to accept his apology. My biggest question is, if Shay really is his sister, than why didn't he just tell me? I am pulled away from my thoughts due to the winter air nipping at my skin. I love winter, but sometimes it's a bit too much for me. I climb into my old black jeep which will soon have to be replaced, and I turn my heat on. Just as I buckle myself, my phone lights up.

Dick (Marcel); Still on for tonight?

Response; Sadly. Come around 7/7:30..

I set my phone down and fully start my car, instantly receiving a text back.

Dick (Marcel); I'm gonna prove you wrong :) be ready.

Response; You're on, styles. (;

I set my phone down and pull out of the hospital parking lot. As I'm driving home, Marcel literally blows up my phone.

Dick (Marcel); You're gonna be pissed. I know you don't like to be proven wrong, Bale.

Dick (Marcel); Riley! Riley!

Dick ( Marcel); atfudsivlpyxeuvkysrvg

Dick (Marcel); Don't ignore me. I know you love me.

Dick (Marcel); Don't make me send you song lyrics.

Dick (Marcel); Hey, I just met you. And this is crazy. But here's my number. So- (you sing the next part)

When I stop at a red light, I quickly respond to his immaturity.

Response; Are you trying to get me into a car crash? When did you become so immature? You used to be mature.

I send it.

Response; Oh, and call me maybe?

I throw my phone into my purse and drive home safely. I stop at the store for grocery's and as I'm checking out, I notice a familiar face.

"Zayn?" I call out, causing the guy in front of me in line to turn around. Wow. My breath was immediately taken from me and he moves up in the line. He gives me a confused look as if he is wondering why some girl is talking to him. "Zayn Malik?" I ask. He slightly nods and places his bagged groceries back into his shopping cart. In the front of the cart is a baby carrier with what looks like a newborn baby laid in it, all bundled up in pink clothing.

"Yeah, Zayn Malik... And you are?" He asks before paying for his groceries.

"It's me! Riley Bale." I smile and he pushes his cart to the very end of the isle and a shocked expression appears on his gorgeous face. "Do you not remember me?" I ask, a little upset even though we were so fond of each other. Well.. I wasn't fond of him. A smirk appears on his face and nods. "How can I forget you? You were only just the girl I fell in love with. And also the girl who broke my nose." He chuckled. I blush and say a quick apology. After paying for my items and walking off, Zayn and I stand at the front of the store talking. I didn't know he was in love with me. Over exaggerator here.

"It's just crazy seeing you here. Where's Marcel?" He asks. That's right.. A lot of people from school think we're still together. I shrug my shoulders and look at the baby in the carrier then back at him. "Marcel and I broke up three years ago. Enough about me though. Who's this precious baby girl?" I ask, looking over at her once again with a smile plastered to my face.

"Oh, this is my daughter Mia." He looks at his baby and smiles proudly.

"She's gorgeous. Looks just like you. So I'm guessing you either have a girlfriend, you're engaged or you're married?" I ask, looking at his ring finger on his left hand, but no ring. He shakes his head no. "Nah, single. Her mum, my ex, was a terrible person. Wanted nothing to do with Mia and was on drugs. So I did what was right and took her. Sounds pretty messed up because she was my girlfriend, but she also cheated multiple times." He frowns.

"Oh.. Um, I'm sorry." I give him a sympathetic smile. "Listen, I have to go. I'm having a few people over for dinner. I'd love to catch up sometime. Give me a call?" I ask, giving him my number and he puts it in his phone. "Bye Zayn." I smile and give him a quick, friendly hug before walking out of the store and to my car.

-

When I get home, it is only 6 pm. Perfect timing. I decided to make what Marcel's mom made the first time I had dinner with them. I remembered the exact ingredients. I believe she called it peppered steak. I quickly cut up the meat and add the rest of the ingredients then start the rice. While that is cooking, I straighten up the house and feed Evie. I run off to my room and change into a pair of white skinny jeans and a striped white and pink oversized sweater that hung loose on my shoulder. I let my hair fall into it's natural waves and I look at myself in the mirror.

"Ugh, Riley.. Just stop. You're not going to look as good as you want to." I tell myself and run my fingers under the bags beneath my eyes. I was startled by the sound of knocking and Evie's small barks at the door. "Well," I look at myself in the mirror. "Here goes nothing."

I walk out of my bathroom and scurry to the door. When I open it, I come face to face with Marcel, Shay and a baby. She is holding a baby carrier and I step aside for them to enter. As they do, Marcel pulls me into a hug and I hesitantly hug back. When he pulls away, he retrieves the baby carrier from Shay and she approaches me with a smile on her face.

"Hi, I'm Shay. Marcel's sister. It truly is nice to meet you because Marcel hasn't stopped talking about you since I ran into him at Starbucks. He has explained everything to me. I promise you, he is my brother." She laughed. "I've got pictures of me and him, and I've got pictures of us with our mum and dad if you'd like to see them? Marcel mentioned that it was important that you believe and forgive him." She reaches into her purse, pulling out several pictures. My eyes travel over to Marcel who is holding the baby in his arms and watching me with a cocky smirk on his face. Ugh.

Shay hands me the pictures and I feel my heart drop. He wasn't lying. I could tell that the young girl was her. I'd be stupid not to see their similarities. I look through the pictures and I feel ashamed in myself. I should have listened to him. But I still have questions.

"Wow... You weren't lying." I speak softly and hand her back the pictures. She smiles and shakes her head no. "Marcel wouldn't lie. Especially to you about something so serious. I'm sorry for everything that happened, and I truly hope you and Marcel can work things out and hopefully be happy agai-"

"I um... I don't mean to sound rude, but I don't think Marcel and I will ever be a thing again." I say quietly. She nods her head understandingly and shrugs her shoulders. "Friends than, maybe?" She asks and I smile, "Maybe."

"Riley, are you making peppered steak?" Marcel asks, walking into the kitchen. I follow behind him, "Um, yeah. I just remember your mom made it the first time I had dinner with the two of you and I just really liked it." I nervously laugh and he smiles. "Speaking of that afternoon, how are you at math now?" He bites his bottom lip.

"Terrible. There's no way I'll ever be good at it." I laugh. He leans down, bringing his lips to my ear. "Maybe I'll have to tutor you again." His deep raspy voice sends chills throughout my body and I close my eyes. He still has the same affect on me. He still causes my heart to flutter. I hate it. "Maybe you won't.." I slightly nudge him before walking away. This is going to be one long night.