9

They're not like him. I repeated to myself as I walked into the house. I saw John and Ryan walking upstairs, presumably to talk. I made my way to the kitchen where I assumed the boys still were. I was right, they were there, but they weren't...them?

I looked at them again before starting to panic. It was the same body's of the boys, but they all had a face just like his. I turned around and ran up the stairs to the room they had let me stay in. I locked the door and sat on the bed.

"Breathe," I whispered to myself.

I stood up and paced slowly. It's okay, it's all going to be okay. They're not him. You're seeing things, you didn't sleep much last night and you're running off coffee. He's not here, not now. I kept reminding myself of these things.

My phone ringing knocked me out of my thoughts. "Hello" I answered

"Is this Mrs. Adilynn Greene I'm speaking to?" The deep voice asked

"This is she"

"Adilynn it's officer Jamenson from the other night. I just received some new evidence from your home, in your mailbox they found a letter for the University of Los Angeles California. Were you expecting anything from them?"

"Yes sir. I've been waiting for weeks for that letter" I replied

"Well Adilynn all you had to do was open you're mail box" he chuckled

"Sir I checked my mail three times a day, the letter was never there..." I trailed off

"Oh," he sighed "In this case we are going to need to keep the letter for evidence, you can come to the station and open it though" he suggested

"I'm going to leave now, I'll be there soon. Thank you officer" I said hanging up.

I changed my clothes and brushed my hair before opening my door to head downstairs. The boys were all lined up on the couch in the living room. "Hey Nate can I talk to you real quick?" I asked.

He stood up and we walked into the kitchen, "what's up?" He asked

"Well the officer from last night called. I got a very important letter in the mail but I need to go to the station to see it. I don't have my car, is there any way I could get a ride or borrow your car?" I asked not wanting to sound needy.

"Of course!" He dug for the keys in his pocket "here you go, drive safe" he smiled giving me a side hug

"Thank you so much!" I hugged him back before heading out the front door.

I drove to the station in silence, thinking about all of the possibilities. Did I get in? Did I not make the cut again? What's going to happen next? I cut off my thoughts as I pulled into the parking lot, killing the ignition and getting out to go inside.

I walked in and officer Jamenson was waiting for me. "Here's the letter" He said giving me the envelope.

Kind of small for an acceptance letter I thought, but maybe it's not like the movies. I thought to myself before opening the envelope I was holding.

Dear Mrs. Greene,

We are quite sorry to hear that you have withdrawn your application for the fall semester 2018 at UCLA. Upon your withdrawal, we have removed your name from the waiting list and terminated your previous application. Your position within the university has been given to the next applicant in line. If you wish to re-apply for a new semester at anytime, the process will need to start again.

Good luck in the future and we hope that you find the right school for you.

Sincerely,

Rebeca Hallows
Dean of Admissions
University of Los Angeles California

"W-w-w-what?" I stuttered.

"Mrs. Greene, if you don't mind me asking, what does it say?"

"It says I canceled my application" I said fighting back tears. "I never would have done that, I've been working toward this for the last three years" I stammered throughout the sentence.

"So you're saying that you had nothing to do with this?" He quizzed

"No sir, but I think I know who did."