Chapter 14

I stepped through the cafe doors and my nose was assaulted with the smell of the latest mystery meat.

Gross, I will not be eating that.

I searched the cafeteria until my eyes found our usual table. Lux was already there waiting for me and as he turned around and flashed me that smile reserved just for me, my heart beat a little faster and warmth flowed through my veins. Even after being with Lux nearly every day for a week now, the butterflies in my stomach were still ever present. A smile broke out on my face as I walked over to join him and the others.

“Hey Mia!” Alex called as she saw me approaching the table.

Emily smiled up at me and looked around before asking “Where’s Tammy?”

 “She texted me and said she had detention”

I noticed the look of confusion on her face as she replied “Really? That’s weird, Tammy never gets detention”

I shrugged my shoulders in response and felt a gentle tug on my hand. Lux pulled me down so I was sat on his lap and my arms automatically wrapped around his neck while his encircled my waist.

He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my neck “Hey baby”

“Hey” I said back, leaning further into his hold.

Someone clearing their throat broke me out of my Lux induced daze and I moved my arms from around his neck before turned my head looking for the culprit.

Pagan and Alex were trying not to laugh, covering their faces with their hands while Dylan looked down at the table, a hint of pink colouring his cheeks. I couldn’t help but notice how Emily was staring at Dylan, a frown marring her face and disappointment clear in her eyes. He looked up at her and their eyes met for a brief second before she turned away.

Lux reached down and pulled my hand from my lap intertwining our fingers and brushing his thumb along my knuckles before dropping our joined hands back on my lap.

I looked over at Lux who was already looking at me, a ghost of a smile playing on his lips. I bit down gently on my lip before turning my attention back to Pagan who had started talking.

“So, Tammy’s birthday is this Saturday. We have to do something really special for her 18th!”

 “So what did you have in mind babe?” Jake asked, throwing his arm on the back of Pagan’s chair.

“Well I was kinda hoping you guys would help me think of something...” she trailed off, looking round expectantly.

The silence stretched between us for a few minutes as we all contemplated ideas.

“Hey! Why don’t we go down to my parents’ lake house for the weekend?” Emily suggested excitedly

Emily’s parents have a lake house?! Whoa.

“That sounds great! What do you think Mia?” Pagan asked hopefully

I thought about it for a second, Tammy would definitely love that.

“I think Tammy would love it!”

The girls all squealed and I laughed along with them.

Turning serious again Alex asked “So who’s going then?”

“Well, Tammy obviously and Mia, you, me and Emily of course” Pagan said before pausing and glancing over at Jake “You wanna come right, babe?”

Jake leaned over and kissed Pagan’s cheek “Course”

Nervously, I turned around slightly to face Lux who still had his hand in mine.