Chapter 6

Oh God, I feel sick.

Starting during senior year was probably the worst time to start a new school. I let my head drop onto the steering wheel and groaned.

Come on Mia, man up, it’s only high school and you wanted to be here, so stop whining!

The screen door slamming pulled me out of my funk and I sat up straight, plastering a big smile on my face so Tammy wouldn’t think I was having second thoughts. I glanced in the rear-view mirror and wondered how Tammy got away with her outfits at school. Oh Mio Dio! Her blue denim skirt was only inches away from becoming slutty and her wedges made her even taller. Her look was finished off with a hot pink tank top and her hair was pin straight as usual. She looked so confident; it made me even more nervous.

“Oh come on, lighten up! You’re supposed to be excited, it won’t be that bad” Tammy said noticing my faltering smile as she shut the passenger door behind her.

“Sorry, I am excited! It’s just... what if I embarrass myself?”

“Please, so what if you do? No one will even remember it tomorrow”

I gave her a doubt full look before starting the truck and heading out the drive way. Tammy fiddled with the out dated radio and shot me a devious smile before the sound of ‘Tim McGraw’s Truck Yeah’ came blaring out of the speakers. We spent the rest of the drive to school singing at the top of our lungs whilst getting funny looks from the people we passed.

        * * *

I turned the volume down as we pulled up to Ventura High, hoping that today I would remain undetected. I parked in the first space I saw and looked around at all the people casually sitting on the hoods of their cars chatting and flirting in the sun. Gulping, I reached up and tilted the rear-view mirror looking into it at myself. I looked okay I guess. My dark brown hair was pulled into a side fish-tail braid and I kept my make up minimal with just a bit of mascara and some clear gloss. It would have to do. I took a deep breath and stepped out of the car, smoothing down my white sundress. Almost immediately everyone stopped talking and looked at me... so much for going undetected. I made my way round to the front of the car where Tammy was looking round the parking lot in shock.

Tammy looked at me impressed “Damn Alabama, must be those cowboy boots”

I glanced down at my worn out brown cowboy boots and giggled uncomfortably, trying to hide the rising flush.

“What is up with that?! It’s like their all in heat or something” I said,

As if on cue the guys started whistling and making crude comments while the girls shot daggers at me.

Great start, I thought sarcastically.

Tammy gave me a small nudge before saying “Come on, I can see the girls”. We made our way over to a group of people that looked to be dressed similarly to Tammy. I recognized them as Emily, Pagan and Alex. They were standing with two other guys I didn’t know. One of them had his arm casually slung over Pagan’s shoulder, so I guessed that that was the infamous Jake. From what I could see he was reasonably tall, taller than 6ft and his hair was blonde. The other one was talking animatedly to Emily although I didn’t know who he was. He had sandy brown hair and was around the same size as Jake, if not taller. As we neared them I could still feel eyes on my back but I tried to ignore them.

“Hey guys! You remember Mia?” Tammy introduced.

“Of course we do! Hey girl! How are you?” Pagan says warmly

“ Hey girl!” Jake mimics in an over the top girly voice, earning him a whack in the stomach.

Laughter erupted through the group as Pagan glared at Jake.