Chapter 5

I open my eyes and sigh in contentment, the sun streaming through the windows and casting rays on my duvet and pillow. Last night was so much fun and I feel so happy now I’m here. I don’t even know why I was so worried. Tammy’s friends are so friendly and fun and I can’t remember ever laughing so much! I gaze out the large French doors facing the beach and watch the waves crashing against the sand before being pulled back out into the ocean. Everything is so peaceful here, I haven’t even thought about home yet. Home… oh shoot! I forgot to call mamma to tell her I had arrived safely! I was so wrapped up with everything I forgot! Wow, I am a horrible daughter.

I quickly scramble off the bed, getting tangled in the duvet and head straight for my purse. Flipping my phone open I find that I have three missed calls and a text, all from my mamma. I hover my thumb over the read button before pressing it, holding my breath.

Hey hun, I take it from your silence that you have arrived just fine and are already having too much fun. Your Grams and Grandpa keep moaning about how you have forgotten about them already. They are driving me crazy! I miss you girl, Love ya. Mx

I let out the breath I was holding and smile. Of course my mamma wouldn’t be mad. I guess a part of me felt a bit guilty for leaving her, since that’s what Dad had done. Well, technically he cheated on her, but it’s the same sort of thing.

 Looking at the time on my phone it tells me that it is 8:56 here in California. That means it would only be about 7 in Alabama so I guess that’s too early to call the family, since there lazy butts are probably still in bed.

I place my phone on the stand beside my bed, vowing to myself that I will call them later and head out the French doors, breathing in the salty sea air, the air warm and refreshing. Oh yeah, I could definitely get used to this.

I was sitting on the steps outside my room when I heard footsteps behind me and Tammy appeared next to me.

“Hey buddy” Tammy spoke, bumping my shoulder lightly.

I bumped her back with a smile, “what’s up?”

“I was wondering if you’d fancy a milkshake at the diner.” Tammy asked with a hopeful expression.

“I’d love to!” I beamed. “I want to see the source that made my best friend move away” I added in mock sadness. It was also true, but I didn’t want to make Tammy feel bad. Though when I looked sideways Tammy had a guilty expression so, I quickly put a smile on my face so she knew I was joking. Kind of.

I think it worked because she smiled back. “I’ll let you get ready so meet me outside in fifteen minutes” and before I could say any more, she stood up and went back inside, leaving me to bask in the morning sun.

I trudged back into my room and jumped into the shower, scrubbing off that greasy morning feeling. After my hair was dry and my teeth were brushed I threw on a pair of denim shorts and a baggy, black tank top and headed out the front door where Tammy was waiting by the truck.

“Sup bitch” She greeted my presence.

“Charming” I replied sarcastically heading towards her.

I was confused when she walked past the truck and onto the path instead. “You coming?” she asked, looking back since I was still standing in the same position.

“Are we not taking the truck?” I asked her, confused.

She seemed to dismiss my question when she turned back around and carried on walking. “The diner is just down the road, we don’t need to drive” She answered coolly. I scampered to catch up with her and when I was next to her she linked her arm through mine.