The first notes of the music began and like every other time, my nervousness faded away and I lost myself in the dance I'd worked so hard on with Jason.

~*~

I walked out of the backstage area towards the classrooms, only to stumble backwards because a figure rushed at me from nowhere. Seriously.

"Congratulations," Tia squealed into my ears as she hugged me.

"Thanks." I grinned.

She left me only to attack Grace with a hug who had been walking with me.

Jason and I had won the third price, while Grace and her partner had come first. And, to be honest, they deserved it. They even got a standing ovation after their performance.

Michael, David and Zoey were waiting for us outside the school, which wasn't crowded since we were one of the first people to leave the auditorium. Plus, only the Sophomore class had school today because we had our program on the same day as the dance.

After about five minutes, crowds of students made their way out of the building.

"Um, guys," Jason suddenly interrupted our conversation. "I need to go. See you after at the dance."

We said our goodbye to him and I watched painfully as he strides over to Vanessa. She wrapped her arms around his neck the second she saw him and I forced myself to look away as her lips met his.

"We should probably leave," Tia said. Her expression made it obvious that she knew what I had witnessed. "Need to get ready for the dance too."

"You have Noah's car, right?" Zoey asked and I nodded.

We walked towards the Audi I had borrowed from Noah for the day, Tia and Michael engrossed in their own conversation while they walked.

"So," David said as I stopped in front of the car. "I'll pick you up at 8?"

"Sure." I shrugged.

"You're such a spoilsport, Kirsten," David grumbled.

"Have you forgotten that you forced me into it?" I retorted.

"Get over it. You're only a few hours away from the best night you've had in ages." He grinned, winking.

~*~

Tia, Zoey and I were up in my room. And we were all dressed up for the dance.

I was wearing a knee-length dress which had was black-netted at the chest and magenta link as it flowed with multiple pleats. I wore silver hooped earrings with a silver stoned ring. My hair was curled and I wore black stilettos with straps on my feet.

Someone knocked on the door and I turned around to see my mother pop her head into the room.

"David's here," she announced. "And Michael and some other boy as well."

"Thanks Mom," I said. "We'll be right out."

Mom left the room and I turned to my two best friends. "You both ready?"

"Sure." Tia nodded and walked out of the room.

I met Zoey's eyes, trying to bite back the threatening smile. She seemed as amused as I was. She raised her eyebrows, questioning.

I shrugged. "She has a loving boyfriend who is waiting to sweep her of her feet."

Zoey laughed. "Dramatic but true. Come on."

I followed Zoey out of the room, closing the door behind me. She was wearing a black dress with frills at the skirt and a white wraparound bow as a belt. Her hair was tied up along with a white barrette on her dark hair. She wore white heeled shoes similar to mine.