Chapter 18 (Edited)

I chewed my lip and narrowed my eyes, my leg bouncing up and down while we were going there. I knew that we were close to where we had to be and hoped that we were not too late to save my two sisters.

"Relax," Dad said, glancing at me. His brown eyes were sparked with a ferocity that I was glad that wasn't directed to me but to those who had captured my siblings. "We'll get them back." He sighed and moved a hand through his hair. "I know you hate me but..."

I raised an eyebrow and turned to look at him. "But what?" I asked, my voice hard. "You want me to save your ass?" I snorted and looked forward, folding my arms across my chest. "Nice try."

"As yo-"

"As my what?" I turn to look at him again, this time narrowing my eyes and gritting my teeth. If I was a wolf, then my lip would be curled into a snarl, showing my sharp teeth. "My father or my Alpha?"

Dad frowned but didn't say a word. His hands gripped the steering wheel tight, and I knew that he was trying to control his anger around me. Us Lamar's were easy to anger and harder to please. It was in our blood to be such hard-headed and stubborn people. My father and I were no different.

After a few minutes, he sighed and looked at me. Pain was etched on his face as if he couldn't comprehend what I was saying or meaning. "Why do you hate me?" he asked, his voice soft.

I shrugged and looked away from him. There were many reasons as to why I hated him or disliked him. I hated how he left us unattended or how helpless we were. I hated how he was trying to waltz back into our lives like he could. But, the main fact that I hated him was because I didn't hate him.

Sure, I was upset and disappointed in him, but I didn't' hate him. I wasn't sure if I could even try to hate him because he was and will always be my father. He would be the person that I wanted to hear praise from when I did something good.

"Addy?" he asked.

"Carly," I replied, not looking at him. My voice was soft, and I didn't know if he had heard me or not. I didn't care, I had to say it. "My name's Carly."

"All right... Carly."

And with that, we went the rest of the way in silence.

***

"I don't know if you should come in here," Dad said as we started to get out of the car. He moved his hand through his hair and frowned at me. Concern filled his brown eyes, and I knew that he was scared to lose me like I was scared to lose him.

I snorted and shook my head. "Ain't gonna happen," I replied. "We're going to have to be quiet if we want to make sure that we don't get caught."

Dad nodded. "Do you know how we can get in without being noticed?"

I hid an eye-roll. He should already know how to get in without being spotted. "We go onto the roof and go in that way. If there are guards, we knock them out."

"How do you think we should get onto the roof?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I blinked and gave him a deadpanned look. "There is a fire escape connecting to the building across the street," I replied. "We can use that and jump across the building.

"And what if there are lasers on the ground when we try to go down?"

"Well, I guess we are going to have to worry about that when we get there," I replied, smirking. With that, I closed the door and started to go towards the building that had the fire escape.

My body hummed with adrenaline, and I couldn't wait to wreak havoc on the people that caused my family harm and made us move so many times that my siblings and I didn't have a childhood. No one was going to capture my sister's and live to tell the tale.