Chapter 26

Nandini rushed into the hospital and stopped in front of the emergency. The lady at the desk looked up at her expectantly,
"Is there a Rishab Murthy here", Nandini blurted out the words.

The lady shifted her gaze to the computer screen in front of her and with the fast pressing of the keys she looked back to her,"Room 211"......

And Nandini was running down the hall to the room, only one thought revolving in her mind, she can't lose him. He was her only family left..... No he cannot do this to her and her legs carried her all the way to Room 211.

She stood outside peeking through the glass window. There he was lying with dozens of tubes attached to his bodies. Coloured fluids running through the narrow tubes. She saw the view in front of her and a stinging pain returned to her eyes. She saw the doctor and nurses hurriedly moving across the bed.

She waited a moment placing her hand on the knob and then with a sharp intake of air promising to face anything that comes by, she turned it and entered the room.

Her sudden arrival broke the rhythm of the doctors and the others at work. They looked at her questioningly, but the pain reflected clearly on her face as she attempted to say," Bhai...", and her voice broke.

"Dean, take her out.", the doctor ordered and before Nandini could protest she was taken out by Dean.

"I want to go in.... Its my brother...please", Nandini pleaded and tears made their way out.

"You can't go in now, miss. He is being treated.", Dean explained and led Nandini to the chairs.

"What happened?", Nandini asked staring at the glass window.

"He jumped of a building at one of the bars downtown. He crashed himself on the pavement. Since there were people around they called 911", Dean spoke slowly gauging Nandini's reaction at every word.
But he found none.

Nandini dug deep into her mind trying to figure the reason behind his sudden attempt. And the answer sprang up in no time. He was lonely. She had left him when he had needed her the most. She was in her own world. Her studies, work and most importantly with Manik. She spent almost all her waking hours with the above three leaving her brother in utter darkness.

And her behaviour pushed him to go beyond the limits and end his life.

Nandini felt sick to her stomach. She was feeling like a murderer. She knew that if it was the last breaths that her brother would be having now then she would never be able to look at herself again ever. She was the reason he was in such a state. Nandini could not hate herself any less.

And the morning encounter with Rishab made her more guilty. How selfish was it for her to leave him like that and go to a date with Manik. She could not believe what she had done. She had killed her brother......and a tear escaped her eye.

The doctor came out and Nandini stared up at him.

"He is stable now, but he needs care and his mental situation cannot be predicted unless he is up..... We have to wait till then.", the doctor told.

Nandini was relieved. He was alive.... It was a second chance for her to prove it to her Bhai that he was not alone. She at once got up and said," Thank you so much. Can I see him now."

"Yeah you can but page the nurse when he gets up.", and the doctor made his exit.

Nandini slowly entered and sat by the stool beside the bed. She stared at Rishab. He was lying peacefully. None can think that he may have undergone such an incident. She carcassed his hand and looking at him while he slowly breathed Nandini promised herself, she would not lose this second chance. She would give up everything, her happiness, her love, anything. He needs her more than anyone.

There was a knock on the door and Nandini left the room.

Manik stood there worry written all over him.
"You left without saying anything. It took freaking 2 hrs to find you two here. Couldn't you just call once.....", Manik shouted angrily remembering the worst time in his life. He was bewildered and too close to lose his sanity.

"You don't need to worry about us. We are okay", Nandini replied not looking at Manik.

"You may have said once and I could have helped.", Manik spoke trying to keep himself calm.

"We are okay. And you don't need to help every time.", Nandini said.

"What happened to him? Was he drunk again?", Manik asked concerned.

"Its family matter. Manik I need time to think. Alone. I will call you once I have decided things. Please", Nandini pleaded staring into his eyes.

Manik could see her denial and her effort of pushing him away in her eyes...." Nandini, we can...", he tried to protest.

"Please, Manik. I beg.... I need time", Nandini fought her tears.

"Nandini, I lo..." Manik started to speak.

"Don't hurt yourself Manik and take care of Mannat. I will call when I am ready.", and Nandini left.

------------------------------

"Manik what are you doing here?", Nandini and Manik were standing outside her college.

"Its been 2 months Nandini. How much more time do you need? I need answers now?", Manik was earnest. He can't wait any longer.

Nandini just stared down.

"You don't pick up my calls, or reply my texts. I need answers. I can't wait longer", Manik pressed on to her.

"You can't force me to.", she replied without looking up.

Manik knew she was broken and was hurt so he tried for a last time," Nandu..... Baby I know you are going through hell. Your life is full of problems but trust me we can face them together. Leaving me or shutting me out won't help."

"You don't know what I am going through each day and I don't need anyone to face my problems.", she answered.

"So this is how it ends right?", Manik asked staring at the girl he loved more than anything.

Nandini uttered nothing giving a complete silence in return. Manik could take it no longer. He trusted the wrong person again and his belief strengthened when he turned to leave and Nandini didn't stop him.

And Manik Malhotra walked away without knowing the fact that Nandini Murthy was carrying his child in her womb.

So here goes the double update. And there were only a few comments that I received. I hoped to get a better response. But its okay.

Keep voting and commenting.

Till then happy reading.